one WIP, one FO
Since I finished one project, I felt completely justified in casting on for another.
She's a mini-version of the infinitely popular Clapotis. Using purls for the stitches to be dropped, rather than knit stitches and stitch markers.
Have I mentioned that I love this yarn?
And, because inquiring minds want to know, here's how I wet-finished the yarn.
- Tie each of the two skeins in eight places, using figure-8 ties.
- Drape yarn in strategic locations all over the house for most of a week.
- Right before leaving for a trip to the in-laws, decide that wet-finishing must happen NOW.
- Fill a very large bowl with very cold water.
- Fill the bathroom sink with the hottest possible tap water and a squirt of Soak, and let the yarn sit for 20 minutes.
- Drain sink and squeeze out yarn.
- Dunk in cold water, agitate with hands.
- Return to sink, and fill with fresh hot tap water. Agitate with hands, squealing because the water is HOT! (Yeah, I know you can use a small sink plunger, but remember, I wanted to do this NOW and I didn't have a clean plunger.)
- Squeeze out hot water, dunk in cold for another minute or so.
- Repeat hot water/cold water cycle once more, and then one more hot cycle (that's 3 hots, not including the initial soak).
- Drain sink, squeeze out as much water as possible from the skeins.
- Roll in a beach towel and stomp aggressively to get rid of more water.
- Lay the towel on the kitchen floor. Whack each end of the skein against the towel a couple of times.
- Hang yarn to dry. I put coat hangers on the ends of the skeins, and draped a towel over the coat hangers for some extra weight. This probably wasn't necessary.
I'll try to get a good closeup of the finished yarn. The finishing did what you would expect -- the yarn fluffed out a little bit, and the plies became more integrated. The separate strands of yarn were fuzzed together like weak velcro as I was winding it off, but there was no felting.
I spun the yarn with a mostly worsted style, from a worsted prep roving. So, the wet-finishing probably didn't change the character of the yarn that much. In fact, I probably could have just soaked the skein and hung it to dry and called it a day. But, I had fun trying something new!