aswim in knits

Monday, March 24, 2008

I made yarn!

I've been spinning for almost a year now, but not as often as I would like. Because of this, I'm still thoroughly amused by the process. Start with fluff, add many (wo)man-hours, and end up with yarn. Amazing!

At Rhinebeck this fall, I bought 12 ounces of merino fiber in a nice range of greens/blues/purples. Over the past 3 months, I spun up some singles from the fiber. I really loved the colors, and I didn't want to muddy them up in plying, so I decided at the outset that I would chain-ply them. After some sampling, lots of spinning, and 2 nights of plying, I got 400+ yards of worsted-weight(?) wool -- 12 wpi.

merino wool, blue/green/purple (by aswim in knits)

Tonight, I shall wash/block/abuse it.

Somewhere along the way, I think I lost about 2 ounces of fiber and I'm not sure how. The final skeins weigh in at just over 10 ounces combined. I did lose a little bit to sampling, and another little bit of unspun fiber was saved for reference. I also lost little bits of fluff here and there, and a few yards of plied yarn was wasted due to a bad join. All together, I guess I shouldn't be surprised that it adds up to almost 2 ounces.

I'm planning to make a Clapotis with this, but narrower than the pattern calls for. I think 400 yards should yield a good-sized Clapo-scarf, right?

Labels: , ,

17 Comments:

  • This yarn is seriously beautiful! Good call on the chain plying, it looks amazing!

    By Blogger Bertha, at 3:17 PM  

  • It's beautiful! Congrats!

    By Blogger Carole Knits, at 4:06 PM  

  • It's stunning!! Um, no clue on the Clap - I've never knit it. :)

    By Blogger Chris, at 4:35 PM  

  • Oh, Danielle, that yarn is beautiful! I think it would look lovely as a Clapotis scarf. I also believe that there is a free pattern modification to make Clapotis into a scarf floating around somewhere on someone's blog. I wish I could point you right to it, but maybe some googling and/or ravelry pattern checking will help you find it.

    By Blogger Susan, at 5:05 PM  

  • Those colors are so pretty! Congratulations- it's so pretty!

    By Blogger Sarah, at 6:24 PM  

  • yeah, i think it's enough to make a scarf-size clap, for sure. i love the colors on this yarn!

    By Blogger spajonas, at 7:47 PM  

  • Great job on the yarn. It's beautiful. I love the colors.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:59 PM  

  • it looks great! and it'll make a great clapette

    By Blogger maryse, at 8:40 PM  

  • pretty! Amazing job!!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:00 PM  

  • Beautiful yarn! Be sure and swatch for the Clapotis - I made a scarf-sized one out of Cotton Classic and it curls up no matter how much blocking I do. Merino probably would drape better, but still, better to test it out first...

    By Blogger Katie, at 10:07 AM  

  • Wow, nice job! That's some good Navajo plying too!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:36 AM  

  • I just found this modification for myself, search ravelry for "Drop Scar"f by Melissa "Missa" Hills. Your yarn is beeuteeful!
    deidre

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:55 PM  

  • Beautiful colors, and beautiful yarn. You do such great work. I haven't tried chain/Navajo plying yet -- I'm a little scared of it.

    By Blogger Lucia, at 1:56 PM  

  • Very nice skein dude! It'll make a super mini-clapotis.

    By Blogger Manise, at 11:54 PM  

  • Oooh, lovely! That should make a killer mini-Clap.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:11 PM  

  • my clapotis scarf took 410 yds but you could use less ... the designer sent me this note:

    "I am the designer of the pattern so I could give you this advice: If you have a limited amount of yarn, do the increase rows to where you want to stop, weigh it, do the straight rows until you have a bit more than the weight you had measured, then do the decrease rows. You shouldn’t run out.
    happy knitting,
    Kate"

    By Blogger Rhonda the Stitchingnut, at 2:19 PM  

  • It worked ... check it out on Ravelry
    http://www.ravelry.com/projects/stitchingnut/clapotis

    It'll be beautiful in your homespun!

    By Blogger Rhonda the Stitchingnut, at 2:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home