aswim in knits

Thursday, March 13, 2008

swimming and reading, with a side of knitting

It's been a week since I posted anything. I've been busy.

Last Friday-Saturday-Sunday, I took my synchro swimmers to a zone meet in Pennsylvania. There are 4 zones in the US, and we compete in the East Zone.

Our "A" team took home a bronze, swimming to Mardi Gras music.
ANAstandinglift.jpg (by aswim in knits)
(They're treading water. Well, everyone except the swimmer being lifted ...)

Our "B" team took 10th.
ANAwaterwitharm.jpg (by aswim in knits)
(They swim to music from Prince of Egypt. Sadly, they are all too young to know how to Walk Like an Egyptian. They looked at me like I had 3 heads when I first mentioned it. Yes, they do have a few pieces of choreography borrowed from that video!)

These are their practice suits, not their competition suits. I'll have to see if I can get photos of those too ...

While they were competing, I was being tested as a judge. I passed my final exam for my zone certification - this was the last of 2 written exams, 4 practical exams, and 4 oral defenses. This summer, I start the process of becoming a National level judge, which is likely to be a three year process. Sigh.

Oh, and in the middle of the meet, the power went out. You imagine the sound of 97 teenage girls shrieking in unison. Yep, it sounds just like you might imagine. But worse.

When not coaching, I read this book:
(Pretty good, for homework. Now I need to write a review of it.)

And I've been working on the seekrit knitting. It's half done. Working out well, but not so good for the blogging.

Now, another weekend coming up, and back to the homework. See you on the flip side.

Labels:

19 Comments:

  • Wow, you have been busy! You haven't mentioned swimming for a while... the process of becomming a judge sounds very intense. Congrats to your teams!

    By Blogger Chris, at 10:29 PM  

  • cool on the synchro! Now that's a skill few of us have.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:21 AM  

  • I didn't realize you coached synchronized swimming - how cool! Good luck on becoming a judge.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:44 AM  

  • Congrats on the end of a successful season! Great pictures.

    By Blogger Ruth, at 7:16 AM  

  • Congrats on the team successes and passing your cert! I love the team photos, especially B team. I certainly am old enough to remember Walk Like an Egyptian and there might even be such a CD in my collection ;)

    By Blogger Julie, at 8:07 AM  

  • Damn, I'm amazed by what those girls can do it the water!

    By Blogger Erin, at 8:58 AM  

  • Wow, I'm impressed with the girls treading water & lifting a person out of the water.

    Good luck with the testing process.

    By Blogger Rhonda the Stitchingnut, at 9:24 AM  

  • What fun. And great pictures, believe it or not I had no idea people were still doing sychronized swimming. I would have so loved to do that. Midwest (Iowa) sports were very dull when I was growing up.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:03 AM  

  • That's so cool! I love watching synchronized swimming when the Olympics is on.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:04 AM  

  • What an impressive looking bunch of swimmers you have there!

    By Blogger Bertha, at 10:08 AM  

  • How do you tread water and hold someone up at the same time? Very impressive, all while smiling!

    Nice job, coach.

    By Blogger Kathy, at 10:40 AM  

  • Sad that they don't know how to "walk like an egyptian." I actually knew how long before I saw the video because EVERYONE knows how to do that, right? :-)

    I'd be interested in your review of the book. My job is higher ed, so I'm always looking for good reads in that dept, though lest you think I'm too far gone, they're not reading for pleasure... :-)

    By Blogger Pet Guilt, at 11:00 AM  

  • cool on the meet, and wowza on the judging - I wouldn't want to be a skating judge in a zillion years LOL.

    The book sounds interesting too.

    GL getting it all done!

    By Blogger Sara, at 12:07 PM  

  • Four oral defenses? That's more work than some advanced degrees, for pete's sake!

    But congrats to you and your fine competitors! :-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:16 AM  

  • I didn't know you coached synchronized swimming either. You're a woman of many hidden talents, obviously. Congrats to all the swimmers!

    Dave Barry did a column many moons ago re synchronized swimming wherein he and another journalist who had made fun of it accepted an invitation to get into a pool and try it. Only when they yelled in unison "this is the hardest sport in the world!" were they allowed to get out.

    Half? You go, grrl! (I am starting to feel a bit guilty, but not enough to offer to knit the other half for you.)

    By Blogger Lucia, at 11:48 AM  

  • Wow! Congrats!! Seems like you've definitely had a lot going on.

    By Blogger Jessica, at 10:38 AM  

  • synchro fascinates me.

    I think I wanna read that book. Maybe if I ever finish my courses.

    By Blogger haddy, at 7:34 PM  

  • Congrats! That book looks really interesting.

    By Blogger Kate Linnea Welsh, at 11:15 AM  

  • Congrat's on the teams, and the judging!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home