aswim in knits

Thursday, February 28, 2008

taste the rainbow

Like many other New England knitters, I spent last weekend at SPA in Freeport, ME. Many others posted photos (of which I have none) and did the linkfest (for which I have neither the time nor the patience right now). I won't be doing either. I had a great time, though! Hung out with friends, enjoyed good food and drink, and knit and spun. Oh yes, and there was a little shopping. Both in the vendor room, and in the outlets.

I also celebrated my 30th birthday some more. Kind friends bought me gifts and wished me well. I'm enjoying thirty quite a bit :)

I also acquired -- through purchases and gifts -- the rest of the sock yarn needed for a project I've had in mind for 2008 (ahem, and also 2009, most likely). I would like to knit a rainbow of socks.* Fun colors, good yarns, and interesting patterns. Here are my yarns:

Taste the Rainbow, II (by aswim in knits)

Red: Dream in Color Smooshy, In Vino Veritas
Orange: Spunky Eclectic Skinny Sock in Pop
Yellow: The Woolen Rabbit Sock Yarn in Goldilocks
Green: Shibui Knits Sock in Wasabi
Blue: Wollmeise Sockenwolle in VergiƟmeinnicht
Purple: Tess Designer Yarns Super Socks and Baby in an unnamed purple

Now, for the patterns. I have a gazillion socks queued in Ravelry. Any others I should know about? Any suggestions for a particular yarn, from my queue or elsewhere?

* And thanks to Lucia Terry for putting the idea in my head that I should start with red and work my way through in order ...

Labels: , , , ,

16 Comments:

  • I love your rainbow idea! I'm looking forward to seeing your rainbow of socks :)

    By Blogger Julie, at 12:58 PM  

  • Cool idea, but for someone with such an eye for detail you seemed to miss one color of the rainbow: indigo

    Go forth and buy more yarn!

    By Blogger Pumpkinmama, at 1:01 PM  

  • Great idea! Love the colors and the yarns!

    By Blogger Margene, at 1:08 PM  

  • That is an AWESOME idea and I might just steal it. I have to knit a pair of pink socks for my friend's birthday, but after that, I could totally do this! It would be a good challenge for me to try to knit 6-7 pairs of socks this year and finally start paring down some of the giant sock stash!

    By Blogger Bertha, at 1:12 PM  

  • What a terrific idea!

    By Blogger Carole Knits, at 1:29 PM  

  • I'm so jealous you were at SPA- There's always something that prevents me from going, even though I have a place to stay!

    Currently head over heels love with Pomatomus or whatever they're called. I also just knit a pair of Monkeys- I feel like her patterns practically knit themselves. So any Cookie A pattern would be my suggestion.

    By Blogger Local Egg, at 2:47 PM  

  • Oh, geez, did I suggest that? I guess I would. Did.

    There's a difference of opinion on that indigo -- some people see it, some don't. But hey, it's another chance to buy yarn, go with it.

    I need that blue stuff.

    As for sock patterns, I have no idea.

    By Blogger Lucia, at 3:21 PM  

  • Ahem. I believe that was me that put the Roy. G. Biv idea in your compulsive little head. Did another really have that idea? Heh. Glad to help.

    By Anonymous Teresa C, at 3:55 PM  

  • I think it's a stunning assortment! The green is particularly lovely.

    Are the Retro Ribs in your queue? That's a really great sock pattern--so stretchy and comfortable.

    By Anonymous Beth S., at 4:39 PM  

  • Groovy rainbow! Now where are my love beads? Seriously, when I heard about this IRL, I hadn't realized that you constructed a rainbow from yarn from six different sources. I love this.

    By Anonymous Suzanne, at 10:03 PM  

  • What a great idea - I am looking forward to seeing you make your way through the colors! Hmm, wonder how much of the rainbow I have in my stash...

    By Blogger Sara, at 11:16 PM  

  • Great idea! It's a beautiful rainbow of sock yarn.

    By Anonymous Sydney, at 11:54 PM  

  • I keep singing the rainbow song:

    red and yellow and pink and green
    purple and orange and blue
    I can sing a rainbow....

    love the colors- so glad you found an orange.

    By Blogger Mini, at 7:57 AM  

  • Oh, that's a brilliant idea - and such great colors! I highly recommended the cable twist pattern I'm knitting right now - attractive and not too hard but cool looking.

    By Blogger Chris, at 2:30 PM  

  • What a cool idea! You will have some happy feet!

    By Anonymous Rebekah, at 6:13 PM  

  • man, when I first saw this post I seriously thought you were gonna stripe 'em! I guess that'd be a bit too "queer" - too much pride-with-a-capital-P, eh? ;~)

    rock on witcher OCD self! not even the *army* gets more done before 9 a.m.! ;~)

    ~ hb33 ~

    By Blogger honeybee33, at 4:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home