aswim in knits

Thursday, February 28, 2008

taste the rainbow

Like many other New England knitters, I spent last weekend at SPA in Freeport, ME. Many others posted photos (of which I have none) and did the linkfest (for which I have neither the time nor the patience right now). I won't be doing either. I had a great time, though! Hung out with friends, enjoyed good food and drink, and knit and spun. Oh yes, and there was a little shopping. Both in the vendor room, and in the outlets.

I also celebrated my 30th birthday some more. Kind friends bought me gifts and wished me well. I'm enjoying thirty quite a bit :)

I also acquired -- through purchases and gifts -- the rest of the sock yarn needed for a project I've had in mind for 2008 (ahem, and also 2009, most likely). I would like to knit a rainbow of socks.* Fun colors, good yarns, and interesting patterns. Here are my yarns:

Taste the Rainbow, II (by aswim in knits)

Red: Dream in Color Smooshy, In Vino Veritas
Orange: Spunky Eclectic Skinny Sock in Pop
Yellow: The Woolen Rabbit Sock Yarn in Goldilocks
Green: Shibui Knits Sock in Wasabi
Blue: Wollmeise Sockenwolle in Vergißmeinnicht
Purple: Tess Designer Yarns Super Socks and Baby in an unnamed purple

Now, for the patterns. I have a gazillion socks queued in Ravelry. Any others I should know about? Any suggestions for a particular yarn, from my queue or elsewhere?

* And thanks to Lucia Terry for putting the idea in my head that I should start with red and work my way through in order ...

Labels: , , , ,

16 Comments:

  • I love your rainbow idea! I'm looking forward to seeing your rainbow of socks :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:58 PM  

  • Cool idea, but for someone with such an eye for detail you seemed to miss one color of the rainbow: indigo

    Go forth and buy more yarn!

    By Blogger Pumpkinmama, at 1:01 PM  

  • Great idea! Love the colors and the yarns!

    By Blogger margene, at 1:08 PM  

  • That is an AWESOME idea and I might just steal it. I have to knit a pair of pink socks for my friend's birthday, but after that, I could totally do this! It would be a good challenge for me to try to knit 6-7 pairs of socks this year and finally start paring down some of the giant sock stash!

    By Blogger Bertha, at 1:12 PM  

  • What a terrific idea!

    By Blogger Carole Knits, at 1:29 PM  

  • I'm so jealous you were at SPA- There's always something that prevents me from going, even though I have a place to stay!

    Currently head over heels love with Pomatomus or whatever they're called. I also just knit a pair of Monkeys- I feel like her patterns practically knit themselves. So any Cookie A pattern would be my suggestion.

    By Blogger Erin, at 2:47 PM  

  • Oh, geez, did I suggest that? I guess I would. Did.

    There's a difference of opinion on that indigo -- some people see it, some don't. But hey, it's another chance to buy yarn, go with it.

    I need that blue stuff.

    As for sock patterns, I have no idea.

    By Blogger Lucia, at 3:21 PM  

  • Ahem. I believe that was me that put the Roy. G. Biv idea in your compulsive little head. Did another really have that idea? Heh. Glad to help.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:55 PM  

  • I think it's a stunning assortment! The green is particularly lovely.

    Are the Retro Ribs in your queue? That's a really great sock pattern--so stretchy and comfortable.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:39 PM  

  • Groovy rainbow! Now where are my love beads? Seriously, when I heard about this IRL, I hadn't realized that you constructed a rainbow from yarn from six different sources. I love this.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:03 PM  

  • What a great idea - I am looking forward to seeing you make your way through the colors! Hmm, wonder how much of the rainbow I have in my stash...

    By Blogger Sara, at 11:16 PM  

  • Great idea! It's a beautiful rainbow of sock yarn.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:54 PM  

  • I keep singing the rainbow song:

    red and yellow and pink and green
    purple and orange and blue
    I can sing a rainbow....

    love the colors- so glad you found an orange.

    By Blogger Mini, at 7:57 AM  

  • Oh, that's a brilliant idea - and such great colors! I highly recommended the cable twist pattern I'm knitting right now - attractive and not too hard but cool looking.

    By Blogger Chris, at 2:30 PM  

  • What a cool idea! You will have some happy feet!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:13 PM  

  • man, when I first saw this post I seriously thought you were gonna stripe 'em! I guess that'd be a bit too "queer" - too much pride-with-a-capital-P, eh? ;~)

    rock on witcher OCD self! not even the *army* gets more done before 9 a.m.! ;~)

    ~ hb33 ~

    By Blogger Unknown, at 4:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home