aswim in knits

Thursday, February 14, 2008

letting go of the rules

You might have noticed that the last 3 posts were all about my birthday. I still have one more birthday post in my head, but I need to scan a photo first. Over the past week, the chances of me, the scanner, the photo and the laptop all being in the same room at the same time were hovering right between "when pigs fly" and "snowball in hell".

I also have a bazillion other posts in my head, but I have yet to write any of them because, well, I made myself the arbitrary rule that all 4 of my birthday posts needed to occur in sequence with no other posts in between. So, I haven't blogged about anything else because that would be breaking the rules. Dude, it's my own blog, and my own damn rules. Yet, it did not occur to me until a few minutes ago that I could actually break the rules with no negative consequences. Yeah, I'm a bit of an obsessive rule follower. (It has also been pointed out that I am a bit obsessive about, well, pretty much everything.)

Today, I wanted to show you two of my favorite pairs of socks. I love WIP posts, and FO-shows, but sometimes I wonder what happens after the blocking and photography are complete, and the paparazzi go home. So, I bring you two of my favorite pairs of socks in their everyday habitats.

First, my study break socks. I began these towards the end of last semester, and finished them up pretty quickly. The stripes and colors amuse me to no end. But, it's a truly special look when I wear these with my polka-dot pajamas.

striped socks.JPG
(I do believe that I look a bit like Bubbo here.)

I also really like my STR Monkies. I can't take credit for these, as they were a gift from the Mafia. The flash muddied the colors, so you can see a better photo here. They are super snug, which is perfect (I hate saggy socks), and very comfortable and warm.

monkeys.JPG

This might sound gross, but I have to ask this ... when my feet sweat in wool socks, they smell different than in cotton or synthetic socks. But, when I wear my STR socks, they have their own unique smell, different than any other wool socks. Has this happened to anyone else? Or it is another one of those peculiar things that only happens to me?

And, with that lovely thought, I am off to class!

Labels: , ,

21 Comments:

  • The stripes match up so nicely and the colors are so juicy. I want to knit stripey socks now!!

    By Blogger Erin, at 3:44 PM  

  • I don't have any STR socks yet so I can't help you with your disturbing foot odor queries, but I LOVE those monkey socks! You and the maf are too good to each other!

    By Blogger Bertha, at 3:59 PM  

  • i'm surprised you haven't willed your feet to not smell at all.

    By Blogger maryse, at 4:33 PM  

  • I just love happy socks. They just make you want to tap your toes and dance the day away.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:41 PM  

  • It was the special MafiaJuice that I added during the knitting. It's simliar to JoJoBa oil, only it's spelled properly - HoHoBa. That's why they smell different.

    Or perhaps your feet are hot for me?

    {you know ... I could go on and on, but I'll stop now, before you puke on your Monkeys}

    By Blogger FemiKnitMafia, at 4:58 PM  

  • My feet don't smell. The end.

    By Blogger Carole Knits, at 5:00 PM  

  • Sorry, can't help you out with your question. I'm glad to see you breaking rules, though!

    By Blogger Knitopia, at 5:19 PM  

  • Tell your feet it's against the rules to smell.

    By Blogger (formerly) no-blog-rachel, at 5:39 PM  

  • You are so funny. I am a little nuts with the "rules" too. We need help.

    Um... you are much better acquainted with your foot smell than I. ;)

    By Blogger Jess, at 5:56 PM  

  • Oh, yes, the stripe'n'dots - excellent! Um... I'll hazard a guess about the foot smell thing - I've noticed that STR smells rather vinegary when I'm knitting with it, so that might be a factor in later smell...

    By Blogger Chris, at 6:03 PM  

  • maryse's comment is killing me! Hahahahaha!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:27 PM  

  • :) i hardly ever wear my STR jaywalkers because they just don't fit well. can't help you there!

    By Blogger spajonas, at 7:38 PM  

  • You silly girl! Can't help you out on the sweating feet question since my feet are always cold and don't seem to sweat in my woolies! Fun post!

    By Blogger Rebecca, at 10:36 PM  

  • Yay Monkeys! I remember Mafia knitting them on the train. Those were good times.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:01 PM  

  • Great, now I'm going to be smelling my dirty socks just so I can see if they smell differently depending on the yarn. Thanks a lot!

    BTW, love both pair of socks :-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:35 PM  

  • I am ROFLING here with Mafia and Carole. Haven't knit with my STR, but the Monkeys tempt me greatly...next pattern, maybe?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:09 PM  

  • HA! I'm with Laurie!

    By Blogger Manise, at 9:32 PM  

  • Even if I knew the answer, which I do not, at this point I would decline to get anywhere near the foot-odor question. So let me simply say, what lovely socks, and I do love the combination of stripes and polka dots.

    Oh, and you may break whatever rules you like as long as you do so in a grammatically correct manner.

    By Blogger Lucia, at 10:10 PM  

  • I can't help you with the sweating feet thing but I love the striped socks with the polka-dot jammies. I always feel like socks should be bright and happy.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:23 AM  

  • Sweat? My feet don't sweat. Really. Well not enough to smell them. And I'm not going to test that either. ;p

    By Blogger Rhonda the Stitchingnut, at 5:57 PM  

  • BTW, I love the wild stripy socks. Cool with the poker dots.

    By Blogger Rhonda the Stitchingnut, at 5:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home