aswim in knits

Thursday, January 17, 2008

stranded

Remember my Bird in Hand mittens? They are one and a half thumbs from completion. I stopped working on them when Thom, who never asks me to knit anything for him, told me that his Lopi mittens are not warm enough. (Technically, Lite Lopi. Still, though, not warm enough??)

So I cast on for some Manly Mitts for him in black and dark gray -- sedate enough for him to wear to work (state gov't, suit and tie every day). In addition to what you see below, I've also started the second one. They're pretty fast. And worsted weight stranded knitting at 6+ sts/in had better be warm enough for him. If not, I might take Kellee's suggestion and throw a pair of thin fleece running gloves inside for an extra layer of warmth.

Manly Mitts for Thom

Did I mention that I also cast on for some socks for me? No? Well then ... I cast on for a pair of socks on New Year's Day and finished them about a week later. Thujas, worsted weight :) Yummy, squooshy Artyarns Supermerino.

Thujas for me

On Ravelry.
(I'm not going to post the project specs on the blog anymore. It was mostly for my own record-keeping anyways. If anyone wants more info, just email or comment. Or sign up for a Ravelry account ... only 7000 on the waiting list!)

The FO parade might have to slow down a bit over the next couple of months. Classes for spring semester started yesterday. I already have 2 book reviews to write and a group project due in the first month.* Yech. Plus, my blogging venue of choice work is busy. Oh, and did I mention that I turn 30 in the middle of the month? Feb 1, for those who want to send gifts! There might be a blog contest (with prizes) around that time. Yeah, I screw around online as a way to avoid homework

*Have I ever mentioned that while in theory I think group projects are the way to go, in practice I despise them? Yeah, it's a control issue thing. However, once we give our presentation on Feb 6, I am DONE with group work for the semester!!

Labels: , , ,

11 Comments:

  • Thirty! For me 29 was wickedly stressful, 30 was fun. I do hope you will have a GREAT birthday.

    By Blogger Knitting it Out in an Urban Zoo, at 9:04 PM  

  • Dang, those mittens sound divinely warm - and you've reminded me to get out my extreme cold weather mittens out of the closet before I go to bed... Lovely socks!

    Good luck on the semester - and I know EXACTLY what you mean about group projects. I hated them with a powerful and hatey hate. :)

    By Blogger Chris, at 11:23 PM  

  • Knitting for husbands is a crapshoot I tell ya! lol! You just never know what kind of odd comment they're going to come up with.

    Pretty socks! Yum!

    Oh... group projects... I hated those. Ugh. 30... that's nothin'! (I had a 2 week old baby so I kind of missed it!) I think it really hit me how old I was this year when I turned 31. 32 is coming up fast... that might really be scary. lol! Um, but... is Feb 1 the middle of the month? ;)

    By Blogger Jess, at 11:35 PM  

  • I never liked group projects either. There's always a slacker who doesn't do his (Yes, I'm using that pronoun deliberately) share and an overachiever who does way more than HER share. Ahem.
    Love those mittens.

    By Blogger Carole Knits, at 6:29 AM  

  • I want those socks - just beautiful! Sorry life is getting hectic again, 30s not so bad, its always the ones with the 5s on the end that kill me for some reason.

    By Blogger Pumpkinmama, at 6:46 AM  

  • My next socks (Cat Bordhi) are going to be out of that exact same color ArtYarns Handpaint- at least it looks the same - maybe not - color 115? Well at least I hope so, because yours sure turned out pretty!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:27 AM  

  • Nice Manly Mitts! Just finished the Bird in Hands last night. Love them!!

    By Blogger Deb, at 9:45 AM  

  • UM... how exactly are you thirty? You don't look thirty. Do I need to plan some knitting birthday event?

    By Blogger pigbook1, at 10:13 AM  

  • 30! You're such a young 'un. No, really. :-)

    I want a pair of (Wo)Manly Mitts. For me, me, me! It's such a classic pattern. Mine might have to be orange, though, since I do not work in a place where ties and ironing are required. ;-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:07 PM  

  • FAST socks.

    I agree about groups. Unwieldy non-decision-making, contentious projects.

    By Blogger Laurie, at 7:00 AM  

  • Very manly, the mitts, that is. The socks, not so much: good thing they're for you.

    By Blogger Lucia, at 2:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home