aswim in knits

Friday, January 04, 2008

if everyone else jumped off the Brooklyn Bridge ...

So, I've hopped right up on the bandwagon and am working on a pair of Bird in Hand mittens. I love Kate's pattern -- it is beautiful and very well written.
bird in hand.JPG


I cast on for these on Christmas Eve at my in-laws. The photo above is from a few days ago. I'm almost up to the top flower on the second mitten now. Once I finish both, I'll do the thumbs. Mitten #1 already has all of its other ends woven in, though.

Alison gave me a good tip -- she said that she did the embroidery on the thumb before finishing the last few thumb rounds, and it made it easier to maneuver. If you're not familiar with this pattern then stop hiding under that rock you might not know that there is a little bird on the tip of the thumb, and you embroider his eye, beak, and wing onto the mitten.

I'm knitting these from stash -- Paton's Classic Merino (dark green) and Cascade 220 (white). Both of these were acquired in Ravelry trades earlier this year. Very good aquisitions, I would say!

I'm loving the stranded knitting. Should be nice and warm. I think I'll whip up a pair of Manly Mitts next. Thom said that the Lite Lopi mittens I made for him aren't warm enough. And, umm, he can't find them anyways. He's been wearing a pathetic little pair of cotton gloves, a freebie from an event during my college years (1999 to be exact). What's that about the cobbler's daughter having no shoes ...?

Labels: ,

14 Comments:

  • The mittens look great!!

    Yikes - if the lite lopi mitts weren't warm enough, then he has to be freezing half to death now.

    By Blogger Chris, at 7:58 PM  

  • LOVE THEM!

    By Blogger Bertha, at 8:31 PM  

  • Those look super! What size needles are you using? I tried #2's but can slip my hand through the 4 DPN's no problem- too big I think. At least I got to try out the braid and understand how it works now. I'm almost afraid to use #1's for fear of breaking one on the braid. Did you knit the row below looser to compensate for that?

    By Blogger Manise, at 10:41 PM  

  • Having seen them hand to face, I can testify that they're indeed awesome.

    By Blogger Lucia, at 10:49 PM  

  • These look incredible! Thanks for your picture and insights.

    By Blogger Knitting it Out in an Urban Zoo, at 1:14 AM  

  • The mittens are beautiful! I'm also wondering what size needles you are using.

    By Blogger Carole Knits, at 7:44 AM  

  • Beautiful mittens!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:36 AM  

  • Those are delightful! I might have to make a pair!

    By Blogger Lucy, at 10:48 AM  

  • They are beautiful Danielle - I love the dark green/white color combination!

    By Blogger Pat, at 10:52 AM  

  • Those are gorgeous! I will have to refer back here to your tips when I decide to jump off the bridge...or onto the bandwagon...

    By Blogger Emily, at 2:01 PM  

  • I jumped too! They are such a delight to worwk on and I can't put them down! I love yours.

    By Blogger Deb, at 10:29 AM  

  • I have seen quite a few of those around blogland. They are absolutely gorgeous.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:41 PM  

  • wow- those are beautiful!!!

    By Blogger Bostonworkerbee, at 3:14 PM  

  • Hmmmmm....maybe I need to take the plunge, too. Those are some gorgeous mittens!

    By Blogger Rebecca, at 2:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home