aswim in knits

Friday, December 28, 2007

Christmas recap

Whew. It's been a while. Let me try to get through the last several days in one post, not too many words (yeah, right!).

I was paired with Yaga for the knitting wars. (Thanks, Yaga, for adding some posts in English!). Which means, I was busy knitting! Here's the final tally of 2007 Christmas gifts:

My in-laws get something knitted every year. This year, my FIL got some socks, and my MIL got felted slippers, both of which were requested, or at least strongly hinted at.
Spey Valley
(Da's socks -- Spey Valley, from Knitting on the Road, in Regia 6 ply)

slippers for mim
(Mim's slippers -- Fiber Trends' Felted Clogs, in 2 colors of Araucania Nature Wool)

Both were well received, although I need to felt Mim's slippers a little more -- I left them big on purpose, rather than felt them too much. So, back in the washing machine they shall go.

My boss, a.k.a. Boss Lady, requested some mittens this year. I opened up Ravelry at work (umm, because it wasn't open already, of course!) and we started looking for patterns. She saw a few convertible mitten patterns, and said "oooh, I want something like that -- I didn't know you could knit those!".

She traced her hand for me (teeny tiny little hands!) and I made these:
flip top mittens for Boss Lady
flip top mittens for Boss Lady
(My own pattern, Elsebeth Lavold Classic AL in black)
(Boss Lady would like you to know that she did not plan for a photo shoot and had not had her nails done recently. She apologizes for the chipped polish!)

I also knit some ornaments as gifts. I'd like to start a tradition of making an ornament for each parent, sibling, and grandparent every year. I forgot to label these with the date, but here are my 2007 ornaments:
Christmas ornaments 2007
For the following people, from the top left: Thom's sister and family, my brother and wife, my mom and dad, Thom's brother and family, my Grandma and Sam, and Thom's parents.)
(More details on Ravelry.)

The Mafia, in another command performance, decided that the leftover yarn from her fingerless mitts should not go to waste, and managed to convince me to knit this for her:
the Mafia's So-Called Scholar Collar

I'm calling it the "My So Called Scholar Collar", since the stitch pattern is from the My So Called Scarf but the button idea and approximate size are inspired by the Scholar Collar. I finished it before Christmas, but not in time to connect with her before she went away to visit her family, so she'll get it on New Year's.

So, 10 knit gifts -- not bad! Oh, and I made my mom her earrings, too. She and I picked the beads together, and I made them. I've been making her jewelry since I was in high school, or maybe even earlier. She loves the brightly colored earrings that I will never wear myself. So, it's a win-win. I get to play with beads, and she gets earrings (and necklaces, and bracelets) that she likes!
earrings for mom
(Click to Flickr-ize for more detail.)

I also got some lovely crafty presents. My mom made a donation towards the "my crazy daughter decided to take up spinning" fund. My MIL gave me a copy of Knitting America, a history of knitting in the US, with loads of photos and 20 period patterns. I've only read the first few chapters, but it's fascinating.

My sister in law (my brother's wife) made us the cutest possible Christmas ornaments with polymer clay:
ornaments from Joanna
These guys are tiny -- only an inch and a half tall. Both the penguin (right) and Santa angel (left) are dusted with fine glitter powder, so they look like they've been out frolicking in the snow. So cute!! She also made my mom a little sculpture of a polar bear, seal, and penguin all pig-piled upon each other. She's quite talented!!

So, this post has now exhausted me. I'm off to go watch some DVDs and knit some more. I started a pair of mittens for me on Christmas Eve, and I'm cranking through them (one done, except for the thumb, and I've started the cuff of the second one). Any guesses as to the pattern?

Labels: , , , ,

11 Comments:

  • I am very envious of all of those beautiful handmade gifts! (well, envious of the receiving, not the making really!) Your Christmas sounds grand!
    xo

    By Blogger Sandy, at 9:47 AM  

  • Ooh, I love everything, but especially the earrings and the felted clogs! Lovely! Ooh, are you making bird in hand mittens?! I am so anxious to start a pair but I have a couple other things I want to finish first, sigh.

    By Blogger Bertha, at 9:53 AM  

  • cool cool stuff - my guess is bird in the hand mittens too - but like bertha, that's b/c they're in my queue!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:04 AM  

  • Wow! So many lovely things. The Scholar Collar is lovely - what gorgeous yarn. And the penguin ornament is beyond adorable.

    By Blogger Chris, at 10:06 AM  

  • Wow, what great gifts you give those in your corner of the world. Everyone should be so fortunate to have someone lik eyou in their life.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:50 AM  

  • Now that is quite a recap!!
    I especially love the lucky boss lady's cable cuffed flip top mittens!

    By Blogger Pat, at 7:56 PM  

  • What a great holiday! So many FOs, and the penguin caps it.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:29 PM  

  • bird in the hand mittens? I will be bringing mine to knit at the New Year knitting fest. :)

    By Blogger Mini, at 11:15 PM  

  • Sounds like a great Christmas!

    By Blogger Meghann, at 10:01 AM  

  • Ooh, I love the knitted ornaments, and the polymer ones! Yay for handmade gifts.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:38 AM  

  • Oh ... what a haul. I can't believe you finished all that stuff!! I'm very impressed. And ... you might need to add a category to your blog: Mafia Love. I'm feelin' it, yo. ;-)

    By Blogger FemiKnitMafia, at 9:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home