aswim in knits

Friday, December 14, 2007

about the white stuff ...

Did you see the beautiful snow photos all over blogland today? Amanda posted some lovely ones, as did Julie and Caro. Fluffy white goodness, making everything clean and bright.

Let me present the alternative perspective.

(Thanks for the photo, Boston Globe.)

This is what we saw while driving home on Route 93 last night. Yes, that would be GRIDLOCK. People just stopping on the middle of the interstate highway to clean off their cars. My personal favorite was the guy in the panel van who reached out the window with a 6 floot long broom to clean his windshield. While driving. (Yeah, it was only 3 mph, but still...)

It took us FOUR AND A HALF hours to get home last night. Usually, the drive is about 50 minutes. Yesterday, the first 58 minutes of my commute were spent in here.


That's my parking garage on a sunnier day. See that street in the lower left hand corner? Completely backed up, which meant that NOBODY was getting out of the garage. Lucky for me, I had a sock to knit. I think I completed about 2" before getting out to the street. What did non-knitters do???

The Mafia parks in that garage too, but she got a 15-minute headstart on me, and there was no line when she left work. She lives about 15 minutes from me, and stayed ahead of me for the whole commute. She was my "advance man," calling from along the route to let me know which street or intersections to avoid. If it wasn't for her, I would probably have been on the road at least another half hour, maybe longer. Thanks, Mafia!

[I'm done whining now. Although, I hear that this weekend's expected storm is supposed to be equally messy ...]

Labels: , ,

13 Comments:

  • That sucks. I heard from a coworker that she had a similar problem getting out of the parking lot and then getting back IN to the garage (after sitting on the same street for a half hour) so she could dump her car and take the T home.

    Yikes. I hope today's commute is better.

    By Blogger Kathy, at 12:40 PM  

  • Ugh. I'm not sure I've seen that stopping in the middle of the road to clean windows thing before - and hello! I live in MN. :)

    By Blogger Chris, at 12:57 PM  

  • No problem girl. Always got your back. This weekend's storm -- at least it won't involve a commute.

    By Blogger FemiKnitMafia, at 12:58 PM  

  • I heard the whole Boston area was a giant parking lot. What would happen if you ever had to evacuate? That's the kind of traffic we have when they say a hurricane is on it's way. I hope you have no where to go when the next storm hits!

    By Blogger Sarah, at 1:41 PM  

  • Oh no!! Totally sucks. Dh's usually 30 minute commute took almost an hour and a half yesterday, the first 30 minutes spent getting out of his parking lot!

    By Blogger Meghann, at 2:01 PM  

  • I wondered how your drive would be! Sounds terrible. Mine was killer too, but not that bad.

    By Blogger Cheryl, at 2:04 PM  

  • Woof, what a nightmare ride home. Days like that are when working from home are great. 'Course then you don't get to leave work early. Stay snuggled in this weekend for the next half of the storm.

    By Blogger caro, at 2:27 PM  

  • 3 hours to get home (usual commute 25 minutes). At least I pulled over to clean off the wipers that kept freezing up.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:34 PM  

  • wow and I thought that things got bad here... that's awful!

    By Blogger J., at 3:37 PM  

  • Yikes. So much for early release.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:15 PM  

  • Eep, I'm so sorry to hear you were stuck in that mess but glad you made it home safely!

    By Blogger Julie, at 10:02 AM  

  • I got out of the truck lots of times; my wipers even stopped working at one point. That was fun to try to fix. And I didn't have a broom, so I was using an umbrella.
    I am glad that I had my knitting with me. It was the only thing that kept me sane. 5 1/2 hours (for a 40 minute drive normally) on my birthday. Yes, I did cry - a lot.

    By Blogger D. MacIsaac, at 12:28 PM  

  • Well, here's a different perspective -- lucky you!! It took me seven hours to get home that day, and I got to leave at 1:00. What a nightmare. I've definitely lost my enthusiasm for winter already, though I guess that nothing that happens this winter will top that horrific commute, so it's all downhill from here.

    By Blogger Susan, at 2:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home