aswim in knits

Friday, December 07, 2007

stick a fork in me ...

... I'm DONE!

As of yesterday at 8:30 pm, I am done with my classes for this semester, and don't go back until January 16. I took an exam on Wednesday night, and am still waiting for results. In my other class, remember that pesky little paper I whined about last week? I got an A on it, so I don't need to take the final exam for that class. Woo hoo! Thank you for listening to me obsess, and for sending me good vibes.

****

In honor of being done with class, and therefore in a generally festive mood, I've decided to host a knitting and spinning party on New Year's Day.

If you're local, and I know you, you probably got an email from me (umm, check your spam filter, Cheryl). Unless you're local, and I know you, but didn't have your email in my address book ... in which case, email me or leave a comment with an email address, and I'll forward you the details.

Or, if you're local (Boston/Southern NH area) and I don't know you, please introduce yourself :)

****

In between studying and whining, I've been knitting, and doing a teeny bit of spinning.

Last month, Meghann, Beth, and the Mafia came over for a spur-of-the-moment knitting and spinning evening. We taught Meghann how to spin, and she took to it like a duck to water.

DSCN4034.JPG
(Julia, your wheel sure does get around!)

This is her first skein of yarn. Dude, it looks like yarn! My first skein looked more like something the cat had spit up.

DSCN4048.JPG

While she was there, the Mafia took one look at a skein of BFL that I had spun and plied earlier that week, and decided that it was hers. Apparently, in her world, all green yarn belongs to her. Who am I to argue?

She demanded politely requested that I turn the yarn over to her. We tussled a bit, and the compromise solution was that I would get the pleasure of knitting with the yarn, and she would get the pleasure of telling me what to knit, and would own the end product.

Thus, I present "Mafia's Mitts."

help, I have no fingers!

tree climbing
(This image gives new meaning to "you're driving me up a tree".)

Project specs:
Yarn: Handspun BFL from Clover Leaf Farms
Pattern: improvised
Gauge: 17 sts/4 in
Needles: Size 7 Addis
On Ravelry.

****

I'm off for a computer-less weekend full of synchronized swimming and teenage girls. See you on the flip side.

Labels: , , , ,

15 Comments:

  • Yay!! Obviously, you're living it right on up. :)

    By Blogger Chris, at 6:11 PM  

  • Very very funny! Mafia mitts. The Maf got her mitts on the mitts. And congratulations on not only the A, but being DONEDONEDONE.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:19 PM  

  • Oh how we do like seeing someone new fall down, down, down the rabbit hole.

    And the mits? Fantastic! Anyone can see why she would demand to have that yarn.

    By Blogger Obsessiondujour, at 10:07 PM  

  • Admit it. I'm irresistible. ;-)

    By Blogger FemiKnitMafia, at 10:39 PM  

  • Ahhh, how did I know that yarn would end up with her? LOL!

    By Blogger Meghann, at 10:46 PM  

  • Hurrah for a break in classes! (And congrats on opting out of the final, it doesn't get better than that.)

    That *is* a very beautimous green, the Mafia has good taste. :)

    By Blogger Julie, at 5:34 AM  

  • You must be thrilled to be done with classes for a while.

    By Blogger Carole Knits, at 7:09 AM  

  • glad to hear that you're all done and everything went smoothly this semester! be sure to enjoy the time off and the holidays!

    By Blogger spajonas, at 8:44 AM  

  • Yay for finishing classes! And yes, your friend learned how to spin way too quickly. My first bit of spinning from last weekend looks absolutely nothing like yarn.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:06 AM  

  • Hooray for the A! Well done! And I think I've adjusted my spam filter now, so that group e-mails don't always get caught.

    By Blogger Cheryl, at 11:27 AM  

  • Well, it *was* her birthday, right?... ;-)

    Congrats on the A (as if there were any doubt!) and enjoy your precious downtime to the fullest. :-) Hope to see you on New Year's!

    By Blogger Beth S., at 12:34 PM  

  • Congrats on finishing your term! I'm not done until mid-January. :( Did Mafia tell you that I recognized the mitts coming up the street before I noticed her wearing them?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:37 PM  

  • Congrats on the A! Enjoy the down time.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:56 PM  

  • I'm local, but I'm not going to be here on New Year's Day :-(

    By Blogger Pat, at 8:27 PM  

  • A little belated - but congrats on finishing, and finishing well. Enjoy your time off!

    By Blogger Pumpkinmama, at 9:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home