aswim in knits

Monday, November 19, 2007

so close, yet so far

At Rhinebeck, I nearly finished my Nantucket Jacket. All I had left were the crocheted edges, and Lucia helped me figure out the instructions for those. Because the weather was so warm, I knew I wouldn't wear the sweater that weekend, so I didn't rush to finish it.

When I did finish the edging, it looked loose and wonky, so I ripped it out and redid it, but without a crochet expert by my side. It looked better the second time, until I put the sweater on ... the edging was way too tight. You can see in the photo below how the button bands pull the middle of the sweater upwards, and the collar won't stretch enough to fold down all the way in the back. I think part of the problem is the weight of the sweater itself ... it grows longer when it's worn, just because of its own weight.

Nantucket Jacket front

Nantucket Jacket back collar

Last night, I ripped out the edging again, and cut the buttons off. I decided that I didn't like the placement of the buttons and that if I was going to redo the edging and buttonholes, I'd move the buttons too.

The sweater is currently drying -- the poor selvedges needed a blocking after all that crocheting and ripping. I'm a little concerned, though ... the sweater seems to have grown quite a bit wider in blocking. Hopefully, it will still fit!!!

Labels:

13 Comments:

  • This is scary business.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:48 PM  

  • Yikes! I hope it recovers. It's so pretty, and I love that color.

    By Blogger Lucia, at 5:51 PM  

  • Keep at it, it's too pretty to give up!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:45 PM  

  • I hope it all works out - it's such a beautiful sweater (and so much work)!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:09 PM  

  • *fingers crossed*

    By Blogger Chris, at 8:11 PM  

  • i hope it snaps back! you can always give it a shot in the dryer.

    By Blogger spajonas, at 8:12 PM  

  • I hope it works out. It's such a pretty sweater!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:34 PM  

  • Oh man! That stinks! I am sure it will work out this time though, it's so gorgeous it just has to!

    By Blogger Bertha, at 8:41 PM  

  • Ohhh! You fixed it! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you:)

    By Blogger Meghann, at 7:39 AM  

  • Yikes! I hope everything works out. I wonder if maybe you used a slightly larger crochet hook if it would help you with not crocheting too tightly. I think it's hard to get the right tension with a crochet hook, though it does become easier with practice.

    By Blogger Susan, at 9:15 AM  

  • It's all so scary at this point in a sweater - hope against hope that the knitting gods are with you!
    It's an absolutely gorgeous sweater - certainly worth the time and effort to get it just right!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:42 AM  

  • Good luck! (I'm crossing my fingers)

    By Blogger Rhonda the Stitchingnut, at 11:20 AM  

  • OMG - I'm so jealous! I love that pattern. Congrats - I think it looks great, and I know it will look even better when its done with final adjustments.

    By Blogger Bostonworkerbee, at 11:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home