aswim in knits

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

contest over! blankie over!

Wow! I had 227 people guessing on what my polka-dotty items might be. I won't announce any winners until I can paw through the MDK Hefty Bag. Hopefully, it will arrive soon :)

In the meantime, I can tell you which of your guesses are NOT correct. Those pink and white gizmos are not any of the following items:
  • martian whoopie pies or cake stands
  • polymer clay drop spindles (interesting idea though!)
  • world's craftiest hubcaps
  • George Michael's earrings
  • party hats for trolls
  • decorative manhole covers
  • creative hockey pucks
  • beer bottle cap cozies
  • pasties -- WTF?? (more than one of you guessed this too!)
In between reading -- and laughing at -- all of your guesses, I did get some stuff accomplished this weekend ...

First and foremost, the big orange blankie is done!


Project specs:
Pattern: Hearts and Stars blanket from Zoe Mellor's Adorable Knits for Tots
Yarn: Brown Sheep Cotton Fleece, color Wild Orange
Needles: Size 6 Addi Turbos
Gauge: 20 sts/4 in (or 20.5, maybe)

It doesn't look so big all folded up, but I'll have to wait until I can get a photo with its recipient. Then, it will look big in comparison to him!

After the blanket, I made a few more notebook covers. The two on top are new. The stripes are from Amy Butler's Charm collection, and the colorful circley things are a Kaffe Fasset print.


Then, I used the leftover Fasset print to make a case for my new reading/knitting glasses. It's quilted and cute, but a little bit big. And, the edging is poorly sewn. So, there might be more of these in my future!


Remember when I said that "I promised myself that I would finish 5 things on my WIP list before starting anything new. These are the 5 that I decided to finish..."?

Well, here's the scoop:
  • the orange baby blanket -- DONE!
  • a poncho for grandma -- started, but I made a mistake and need to rip back (grrr...)
  • pink and green skirt -- I decided not to make this one right now, since summer is almost over
  • Hooray for Headbands -- DONE!
  • Fountain Lace cardigan -- back and sleeves done, fronts started -- I need to rip the back to the armholes, though (grrr again ...). I think it's just going to be too short. I need to add at least another inch.
Obviously, I was not faithful to the list, since I've whipped up some notebook covers and eyeglass holders too. But, this nice "list of 5" has kept me focused on the things I need to finish. I'm going to try to keep an ongoing "list of 5" so that I can pick and choose, and have some knitting and some sewing in the mix.

I'll relax the "no new projects" rule just a little bit -- if I can whip it up in a night or on a weekend, I won't count it as a WIP for the "list of 5". If it involves multiple days of crafting, it's a list-er.

So, here is the new "List of 5" for the forseeable future:
  • a poncho for grandma
  • Fountain Lace cardigan
  • Denyse Schmidt potholders (umm, did I mention that I started these???)
  • Baudelaire socks for MIL's christmas gift -- I've finished 5 lace pattern repeats on each sock -- one more and I can start the gusset
  • another sewing project -- probably a quilt with some leftover fabric from this doggie blanket -- I have a plan, but I won't tell you until I know if it will work!
Stay tuned for updates on the contest winners!

14 Comments:

  • Nice job on the orange blankie. Are you sure they're not beer bottle cap cozies?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:57 PM  

  • hehe I loved some of the ideas for what your mystery objects were. 'party hats for trollls' is definitely my favourite!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:12 PM  

  • Oh I just love that blanket, I'm going to have to check out a copy of that book.

    Those are some hilarious guesses.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:39 PM  

  • The blanket is beautiful! I love the pattern and the colour. Simply fabulous! :)

    Your "list of 5" is a great idea to keep you focused. I always feel guilty whipping up a weekend-er type project if I have a WIP that needs to be finished, because after I'm done the weekender I always think of how much further along I'd be on the WIP if I had only worked on it. LOL

    By Blogger Samantha, at 5:44 PM  

  • I love the blanket! I am so impressed - I used the pattern to make some super-cute washcloths - I'm a MDK addict. :)

    By Blogger Kate, at 6:56 PM  

  • i need more like a list of twenty... ! i have so many ideas of things to knit (some even from my stash!) but then i get sidetracked on other projects, haha. there just isn't enough time in the day!

    By Blogger Ren, at 7:23 PM  

  • That's a beautiful blanket. That book may have to go on my "books to purchase" list.

    By Blogger Sydney Harper, at 7:50 PM  

  • wow! you've been busy. i love the eyeglass case fabric. so twirly.

    and i think orange is an awesome color for a baby blanket. such a nice change from those anemic pastels or barney the dinosaur brights

    By Blogger maryse, at 8:46 PM  

  • The blankie is AWESOME! Looks fantastik!

    By Blogger soapy, at 11:03 PM  

  • I love your orange blankie, too. It's such a lovely colour and I really like the stars :D
    And, get out of town - 218 guesses?? I gotta try me some comment-whoring!

    By Blogger kirsten, at 11:14 PM  

  • Love the orange blankie, it's so cute and you have very even tension.

    Great job on the sewing projects and the WIP list. Hope your next list goes better.

    By Blogger Dorothy, at 10:41 AM  

  • Congrats on finishing the blanket!! Whew!

    A-ha! You didn't list toadstools as what they weren't. :)

    By Blogger Chris, at 1:56 PM  

  • What a good idea, making notebook covers! I hate plain notebooks, but the nicer ones are so expensive! I swear, the kids I teach have nicer stuff than me. I need to step up my fashion sense. Maybe pretty notebook covers is a good first step. :)

    By Blogger Jena, at 4:26 PM  

  • I LOVE the orange blanket!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home