aswim in knits

Thursday, July 27, 2006

tis the season ...

... to start Christmas knitting!

In that spirit, I started some socks for the mother-in-law. Remember these ones from last year? That I finished at the absolute last minute? I don't want to repeat that again this year!

So, I bought yarn at Purl last month. I went to a conference a couple of weeks ago and I tried a few different patterns from my Charlene Schurch book. The first one came out huge, and I just didn't like the second pattern I tried.

Knitty.com to the rescue! Here is the new and improved sock -- Baudelaire. (Hee hee, if this was a series of sock patterns, would Rimbaud be next??)

Of course, not wanting to bother much with directions, I subbed my own short row toe construction instead of the figure-8 toe. Although I am looking forward to trying out the toe-up gusset and heel flap!

I'm not using my standard Addi's for these socks. I like my Koigu just a bit tighter, so I am using some size 1 Clover bamboos which are between Addi's size 0 (too tight) and size 1 (too loose) needles. I bought a second pair so that I can still knit both socks at once!

Earlier this month, I also finished another pair of socks. (Predictable, eh??)


I worked on these while at a conference, and cranked through them. They are just my basic cuff-down sock, these ones over 64 sts, with an inch of twisted ribbing at the top. The yarn is Artyarns Ultramerino 4 (need to find those ball bands!) and I used my size 1 Addis.

Stay tuned for more craftiness to come!

3 Comments:

  • Oooh, I love that Baudelaire sock. Except I'm allergic to toe-up construction, and I don't think it would be as pretty going the other way...

    And the colors in the Artyarns socks are fantastic. You're keeping that pair, I hope? :-)

    By Blogger Beth S., at 3:47 PM  

  • Christmas knitting?! EEEEEEK!!

    Cute socks.

    By Blogger Chris, at 11:38 PM  

  • Oh, wow, our Baudelaires look like they are almost the same color. They can't be, though, because mine aren't Koigu. You're going to love this pattern!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home