aswim in knits

Friday, June 23, 2006

leaving on a jet plane

Tomorrow evening, I leave town for a week. I'm going to Seattle to coach at the US Age Group Championship synchronized swim meet. I hope to get some time for a few touristy things, but I won't know until I get there.

I still need to figure out what knitting to bring with me! Obviously, the current socks will be coming. I am still working on the Fountain Lace Cardigan, but it just seems too big to haul around, especially as I am still making some pattern mods and will want to look at some other books and patterns as I do that.

I think I may need a second project, in case I finish the socks. So, here's what I could bring ...
- a long-unfinished alpaca scarf that I just want to get off the needles.
- some sock yarn to make socks for kids -- I'll either give them to one of my nieces, or to Dulaan.
- alpaca for the FBS
- more sock yarn for me

Here is one of the leading candidates for sock yarns for me ...

This is some Fleece Artist that I won as a prize. Earlier this year, I knit up 9 squares for the "Warming Grace" project. I was pleasantly surprised to win this yummy purply-pinky-reddish goodness!

The problem is, I've never knit with it, and no gauge suggestions are listed. I don't want to carry around multiple needles while traveling. Plus, you never know what you'll get when you knit up variegated yarns, so I might need to try multiple patterns before finding one that works with this yarn. I definitely DON'T want to lug around multiple patterns and books!

So, I will likely stick with the Regia, and downsize the Jaywalker pattern to make kids socks, since I know that will work.

See you on the flip side, hopefully with some significant progress to show you ... on something!

2 Comments:

  • I hope you get a chance to do a few touristy things!

    Hmm, I'd take the kids sock project and the alpaca scarf, just to be safe.

    That Fleece Artist is gorgeous! But it sounds like a better project for starting at home.

    By Blogger Chris, at 9:28 PM  

  • Have fun! Hope you get to see some of Seattle and the surrounding area. See you soon at SnB.

    By Blogger Kathy, at 9:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home