aswim in knits

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

marimekk-faux

While I promise that I am still knitting, and plugging away on some ongoing WIPs, I must admit that I have strayed into the world of fabric.

I recently discovered a whole new world of crafty blogs -- people who may knit, but also sew, quilt, and craft in many other media -- and have been inspired to branch out beyond knitting.

So, in a moment of inspiration, I took a long lunch on Monday and went to Winmil Fabrics in Boston. I wasn't sure what I was looking for, but had heard that Winmil had great prices on all sorts of fabrics. The store is decidedly lacking in atmosphere, but the prices more than make up for the warehouse-like effect.

I ended up coming home with this Marimekko look-alike print.

(My fabric, $3.98/yard)

(genuine Marimekko print, $38/yard!)

I also bought a skirt pattern to make a simple summer skirt. Everything, including zipper, thread, etc., totalled less than $15. I wanted to work on it during yesterday's holiday, but I ended up sleeping all day instead. Hopefully, I can get some work done in the evenings this week and have a new skirt for the weekend!

2 Comments:

  • i like your marimekko look-alike! it'll make a fun skirt for the summer. it's really too bad that the genuine marimekko is so expensive. i have some crate and barrel bed linens in it and i love them to death!

    By Blogger spajonas, at 10:08 AM  

  • I like your fabric better than the "real thing." :)

    By Blogger Chris, at 11:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home