aswim in knits

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

hijacked!

We regret to inform you that this knitting blog has been temporarily hijacked by -- gasp! -- sewing projects of all stripes.

Maybe it's the hot weather, but my knitting is not calling to me. However, sewing projects offer a quick return on time invested, and seem much more summer-appropriate than wool socks.* I've been dreaming of all sorts of summery skirts, headbands, and bags recently.

Last night, I found myself with a spare hour, and ended up adding a few patterns to my collection.

This pattern (below) will become pajama pants for Thom, perhaps made out of some orange sock monkeys...

This next one is for my niece Gracie who outgrew her strawberry dress from last summer. I am having a hard time finding a good dress pattern for her. She is 4 1/2 years old, but very big for her age and wears at least a size 10. Most of the cute girls dresses only run through size 8. Most dresses in size 10 just look too grown-up for her. This is one of two patterns that I found that I liked, but it's a little too fancy for everyday wear, I think.



This other pattern, below, also might work, but I want something more "little girl" -- this one looks like I could make it in my size and wear it to work!

So, I'm thinking that I could take one of the patterns below and alter it to made it a little bit bigger. I've never done any pattern drafting before, but I'm sure it can't be too hard to alter a relatively simple pattern, right? Besides, with all the knitting and swimsuit designing/fitting that I have done, I have a good idea of how garments are constructed.


* No worries, I have another conference for work this week, Wednesday-Friday. Last year, I was introduced as one of "the knitters", so clearly it will be ok to whip out the socks during the presentations!! Hopefully, I will return with a new pair of socks, and possibly even have cast on for another pair...

3 Comments:

  • yeah, socks and cotton are safe for some summer knitting but sewing is gaining in popularity too! the only problem with only doing sewing is that it's not portable :) bummer.

    i like all the choices you've made! i wish that i had more time to do all the crafty things i've been hankering to do lately. sewing, log cabin blankets, oh my! my head is gonna explode!

    By Blogger spajonas, at 3:20 PM  

  • Lots of cute projects in the cards there.

    Have you looked at Lands End, LL Bean or Hanna Andersson for dresses for your niece? They've become my go-to shops for my girl, who is also very, very tall for her age.

    By Blogger Ruth, at 4:42 PM  

  • I can't offer any insight on pattern alteration, but you sure have some cute stuff there. I also really love the pajama bottom pattern!

    Have a knittingly productive conference. :)

    By Blogger Chris, at 7:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home