aswim in knits

Thursday, August 07, 2008

if everyone else's husband jumped off the Brooklyn Bridge, would you push yours too?

Pete did it. So did Dale. And Scott.

Obviously, it was Thom's turn.

Me: What is your favorite thing about my knitting?
Him: It’s made with love.

Me: What is your least favorite thing about my knitting?
Him: The clutter and the crap.

Me: That's two things. Anyway, what is something I have knitted that you recall as being good?
Him: My hat.

Me: Do you think knitters have an expensive hobby?
Him: I don’t know. I don’t think so. Although the trip to get your wheel in NY was expensive. And long.
(Last year we drove from his parents’ house in Western MA to Syracuse in order for me to buy a wheel. In my defense, it was a damn good price, and a lovely scenic drive.)

Me: Do you have any hobbies?
Him: No not really. (Pause.) Picking up after your clutter?

Me: Wait a second, you have a collection of expensive German toys in the other room.

Him: That’s true. I do have a good collection of them. But I don’t know how to make a comparison. What’s the fair market value of your wool?

Me: Moving right along … Has my knitting in public ever embarrassed you?
Him: (Long pause). No, I don’t think so.

Me: You can't remember any times in particular?

Him: No, honestly I don’t. It’s never really bothered me. It’s annoyed me but it hasn’t embarrassed me.

Me: Do you know my favorite kind of yarn?
Him: (Longer pause). Merino?

Me: Good answer!

(Ah, but he wasn’t done answering yet!)

Him: Two-ply … Umm, you really like those sheep from Iceland but I have no idea what they’re fucking called.

Me: So, can you name another blog?

Him: The Femme Nazi?

Me: (Hysterical laugher)

Him: Oh, Knit Mafia ... or something like that. Hey! Are you typing that? Don’t write that -- she’ll be insulted!

(pause)

Wait, Ravelry! I know Ravelry!!

Me: So, do you mind that I want to check out yarn stores everywhere we go?

Him: No, not really.

Me: Do you understand the importance of a swatch?
Him: Yes. You test to make sure that your rows and crap are all lined up and you’re using the right stitch and counts. And then you wrap it around my head to make sure that the texture is correct.
(I believe he is referring to the time when I couldn’t believe that when given an entire yarn store to select from, he asked me to knit a hat made out of Lopi. So I rubbed the swatch on his forehead to make sure it wasn't too itchy. Apparently, this was a traumatic experience.)

Me: Do you read Aswim in Knits?
Him: No. Not in a long time.

Me: Have you ever left a comment?
Him: Yes, when you put that photo up of me burning my pants. Which you’ll probably hyperlink to this fucking thing, right?
(Note: comments lost in an upgrade, but I think he did leave one!)

Me: Damn straight I will! Umm, maybe…

Me: Do you think the house would be cleaner if I didn't knit?
Him: No, I think the house would be cleaner if you cleaned.

Me: It’s not so much about the knitting, huh?

Him: No.

Me: Thanks so much for playing along, is there anything you would like to add in closing?
Him: My wife is a wonderful knitter. She gives me street cred when I hang out with my friends in the department of agriculture*. And, let your friends know that I was raised right. I know how to cart wool. Damn, I mean card. Whatever, I did it once at summer camp. Yeah, that’s about it.

* I think he’s referring to the spinning here, and maybe the sheep and wool festivals.

I think I'll keep him.

Labels: , ,

22 Comments:

  • He did pretty good. :) I'm still laughing about wrapping the (Lopi) swatch around his head.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:33 AM  

  • Finally - one of these that sounds like how my husband would answer! Good job Thom!

    By Blogger Pumpkinmama, at 6:47 AM  

  • Need to meet the guy. He has spirit! And observational talents.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:56 AM  

  • I like those answers. :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:09 AM  

  • Excellent answers! I love reading these interviews and hope more people will do this.

    By Blogger Carole Knits, at 8:16 AM  

  • Oh my gosh, I'll be laughing ALL DAY over Femme Nazi! Maybe all week. Thanks Thom! (The cats are all freaked out I laughed so hard)

    By Blogger Julie, at 8:19 AM  

  • So funny! Love it.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:12 AM  

  • Femme Nazi - love it. I'm still laughing!

    By Blogger (formerly) no-blog-rachel, at 9:30 AM  

  • Props to Thom!!! And I love that you left it uncensored!

    By Blogger Deb, at 9:48 AM  

  • hee hee hee! :-)

    I've thought about doing this too, but I'm not sure I really want to hear J's answers. ;-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:08 AM  

  • Hahaha that was cute!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:26 AM  

  • Ha,ha, ha! He's a hoot. I think was Smith was thinking the same thing on the "clean house" question. lol

    By Blogger margene, at 10:33 AM  

  • hahahaha, love his answers ... especially "... I think the house would be cleaner if you cleaned."
    So knitting isn't the problem! hehe

    By Blogger Rhonda the Stitchingnut, at 10:33 AM  

  • These interviews are surprisingly amusing! Thank Thom for us.

    By Blogger Chris, at 11:11 AM  

  • OK, this was the best thing I've read in a while.

    By Blogger Bertha, at 11:52 AM  

  • I may love your husband a little bit, now. So freakin' funny!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:13 PM  

  • Now with 100% more Nazi. :-)

    Of course I'm not offended. He's hilarious.

    Also ... as long as my kid can come over and play with the expensive German toys, I'll reserve my Femme Nazi actions for someone else. :-P

    Plus, to be honest, I'm more offended that he called me a Femme! Clearly he and I will need to have a discussion about gender roles.

    By Blogger FemiKnitMafia, at 4:45 PM  

  • I'd keep him too, if he were mine. Love the one about the sheep.

    By Blogger Lucia, at 4:59 PM  

  • He's too funny! what great answers.

    By Blogger CrazyFiberLady, at 4:40 PM  

  • That is so funny! My husband swears you can dry clothes in the microwave and he was hysterical trying to explain ravelry to his brother!

    By Blogger Sarah, at 6:05 PM  

  • *laughs* This is awesome.

    By Blogger Amy, at 7:30 PM  

  • That was quite entertaining!!!

    By Blogger Emily, at 3:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home