aswim in knits

Tuesday, July 01, 2008

targhee sock yarn

Last Wednesday was my last classroom session for my master's degree. I still have one course to finish, but it's an independent study, so I get to do it on my own schedule. Well, as much as I can keep "my own schedule" between now and August 8.

As soon as that class ended, I got in some good time at the wheel and made this:

targhee sock yarn (by aswim in knits)

This is 376 yards of 2-ply targhee sock yarn. It's just a bit thicker than the mill-spun yellow sock yarn shown above from Kim at the Woolen Rabbit -- 14-15 WPI as compared to 16-17 WPI. The fiber came from another spinner's destash sale, although I believe it is originally from Susan's Spinning Bunny.

I have another braid of this fiber in another color. I'm not sure of the color name, but in my head, I call it "Lilly Pulitzer".

Susan's Spinning Bunny (by aswim in knits)

I'll be spinning this fiber as part of a swap with Phoe. She sent me a beautiful chevron scarf ...

Autumn Chevron Scarf (by phoeknits)
(I borrowed this photo from Phoe -- I can't get a shot that does justice to the colors!)

... and I offered to spin her some yarn in exchange. She picked the pink and green stuff, which I adore! Phoe asked for a heavy fingering/light sport weight yarn, and I wanted to be sure that I could produce the right weight. So, I spun the pink/orange/brown braid first as a practice run. Well, I got just what I was aiming for, so I'm ready to go with Phoe's yarn! I think I'll start it tonight ...

Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

  • The targhee is nicely spun! That's a great idea for a swap, too.

    By Blogger margene, at 2:22 PM  

  • Great spinning - and I envy Phoe that pink and green, it will be lovely!

    By Blogger Pumpkinmama, at 3:02 PM  

  • Beautiful spinning! The pink and green fiber is gorgeous; I can't wait to see how that spins up.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:44 PM  

  • Oooh! I'm excited! Good luck on your independent study course!

    (Sorry for all the exclamation points.) :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:45 PM  

  • great yardage and excellent spinning! the colors are gorgeous! and ooooh, lucky you for getting that scarf!!!

    By Blogger bockstark.knits, at 4:51 PM  

  • Oh, I love that pink and green and I think that Lilly Pulitzer is the perfect name for it. I can't wait to see that when it is spun.

    By Blogger Susan, at 8:20 PM  

  • Mmmmm, yummy. All of it.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:57 PM  

  • Beautiful! I love the colors on both rovings!

    By Blogger Meghann, at 10:05 PM  

  • Oh, your sock yarn is gorgeous! Lucky Phoe. :)

    By Blogger Chris, at 8:50 AM  

  • Looks great! Nice spinning, and great colors. I'm impressed you got exactly the grist you wanted.

    By Blogger Laurie, at 9:29 AM  

  • SO much beauty here today! :-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home