aswim in knits

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

a chill in the air

I don't particularly like summer. Too hot! Too humid! Too sweaty! But, I like the fall. And as soon as the New England evenings started to get just a wee bit chilly, I got in a sweater mood. A wool sweater mood.

So, did I return to my Nantucket Jacket, which only needs sleeves? Or the pre-blog Must Have Cardi that I owe my mom from 2-3 years ago? No, I started a new sweater!

PF sweater

This is a top-down raglan pull-over in a nearly un-photograph-able color of Peace Fleece. It's a medium-to-dark brown with green and maroon tweedy bits. I wanted a snuggly, casual, pullover v-neck sweater, much like a sweatshirt. I think this will fit the bill nicely. And, being nearly all mindless stockinette, it is perfect for a fast knit that requires no attention.

I acquired this yarn from a SnB member who decided that she was no longer a knitter. (But that's a story for another post.)

I think I have 6 skeins of it, which should be plenty. But, to be conservative, I knit until waist length, and now I'm working on the sleeves. Once the sleeves are long enough, I will go back and finish the body. I don't know what I'll do if I'm short on yarn, but it will be easier to deal with at the waist than at the end of one sleeve, right?


Labels:

17 Comments:

  • Is that a Kniting Pure and Simple top down pullover? Nice color. I'm knitting one too, though a rolled neck one in Beaverslide McTaggart's Tweed. A fun mindless knit.

    By Blogger Manise, at 4:31 PM  

  • Hmmmmm....I love peace fleece! That will be great when it's done. Hasn't the weather been great? Well, except for the rain yesterday!

    By Blogger Meghann, at 5:42 PM  

  • I like that! I really want to knit a sweater with PF -- I'm thinking of a sweater for my little guy.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:53 PM  

  • Oh man, that looks so cozy! I've really wanted to knit with Peace Fleece, I wish they made a worsted variety without mohair which I can't knit with or wear! Oh well, someday!

    By Blogger Bertha, at 8:48 PM  

  • Peace Fleece is lovely stuff, you'll love that sweater.

    I, for one (and sometimes I think I'm the only one) that is not.ready.for.wool.sweaters. Bring on the tank tops and shorts. More heat, please.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:23 PM  

  • That's flying along! If you run short you could always add a stripe or alternatively, you could find a nice edging and do that in a contrast color.

    By Blogger Julie, at 6:47 AM  

  • i want to make a top down sweater now too.. but i have too many other things on the needles (for me at least) :) i'll just have to live vicariously through you!

    By Blogger spajonas, at 7:31 AM  

  • Crisp sunny days like today totally have me trying to crank out a sweater too.

    Two tone or few stripes could be fun!

    By Blogger Erin, at 10:32 AM  

  • don't you just love fall for that very reason. I keep wanting to get out my one sweater to work on because of it. I should do that.

    Yours will be lovely to wear.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:19 PM  

  • The sweater is lookin' great, but I'm really fascinated with the SnB member who decided she's no longer a knitter!

    :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:44 AM  

  • Top down raglans are my favorite sweaters to knit AND to wear! Yours is going to be so cozy in Peace Fleece~

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:35 PM  

  • We're not quite cool enough for sweater weather but I can feel fall in the air. I'm getting that desire to knit a sweater.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:04 PM  

  • At long last...

    Your socks are on their way:) They were mailed priority mail this AM, so you should have them Tuesday or Wednesday of next week.

    --Your sock pal

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:52 PM  

  • Mmmm...Peace fleece! One of my favorites! And I'm with you on fall, bring it ON!
    Enjoy today. It's delightfully chilly!

    By Blogger Sandy, at 5:26 PM  

  • OF COURSE you started a new sweater! Looks like it's coming along swimmingly.

    By Blogger Chris, at 10:18 AM  

  • I'm happy about the chill in the air too. Bring on the wool weather! :-)

    Good plan on the sweater (and oh, isn't Peace Fleece the best?) If you end up needing another skein, any difference in dyelot should be practically invisible if you change textures (i.e. start your ribbing, or garter or moss or whatever you plan to do) at the same time.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:42 AM  

  • That looks yummy! I'm going to start learning this top down thing for similar reasons. Plus the trying on idea appeals.

    I'm so with you on the anti-hot. Love fall. Love winter. Well, most of it. I'm still mourning the hummer migration.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home