aswim in knits

Thursday, March 01, 2007

anecdotal

Yawn. I'm tired, so all you get is a random brain dump.

Manly Man Socks:
Manly man socks are at "manly man bobby sox" stage. Think he would like some anklets this year? (Note: I accidentally typed "manly man booby sox". I bet he'd like those even more!)

Nantucket Jacket:
I'm back to the Nantucket Jacket, and am *this* close to finishing the two fronts, leaving me with just the sleeves to knit. No photos now. I need to reconsider a collar shaping issue before I finish, and then I will take a photo. BTW, who designs an aran weight cabled jacket with 3/4 length sleeves? Cute, yeah, but not highly practical. I'll be lengthening those... With my speed, the sweater should be done just in time for spring :)

Knits in the wild:
Earlier this week, I was driving to pick my husband up at work (he works on Union Street in Boston, right near the Union Oyster House, for those who know Boston...). I saw someone all bundled up in a wool coat and hat and mittens and thought "hmm, those look like handknit mittens". Looked up to check if the hat was hand knit, caught sight of the face instead, and said "hey, I think I know who that is!" Looked back at the mittens. Yep, it was a pair of Charlie Card Mittens -- nay, the ORIGINAL Charlie Card Mittens -- spotted in the wilds, worn by the Subway Knitter herself. I tried to whip out the camera and take a pic of herr out my window (you know, the way she shoots other subway knitters' photos), but the light turned green, and I decided not to risk life and limb for a photo.

Awww ...
Remember the pillows I made for the Mafia? Apparently, the striped one has been "claimed" by Little Man as his own. He even brought it to daycare one day this week. Too cute!

Labels: , , , , ,

6 Comments:

  • That is so funny! I'm constantly spotting knits every where I go, most aren't hand knit, but every now and then I spot one and wonder. One of these days I'll ask. I have asked before, but usually the response is so and so I know went to Mexico and brought this back for me.

    K3tog (blog) one of the girls on th ere just finished her nantucket. It's really cute.
    I think the web address is
    http://k3tog.typepad.com/k3tog/

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:28 PM  

  • I saw some Charlie Card mittens on the T this morning too -- not the Subway Knitter. I was, however, too shy to comment to the wearer, and she was 2 people away from me.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:36 PM  

  • I'm always wondering if someone is wearing a handknit but so far I've never asked about it. Jeanne is the person on K3Tog who just finished Nantucket. She made some modifications to the collar so you might want to talk to her.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:50 PM  

  • A brain dump is better than no dump. Wait ... that doesn't sound right. Yeah, anyway ... it wouldn't be exaggerating to say Little Man is 'over the moon' about the stripey pillow. Well done, senora office mate, well done. Good luck on the long haul sox, jacket, etc. I'll be fondling soon.

    By Blogger FemiKnitMafia, at 8:39 PM  

  • I usually just stare at the handknit on the person and creep them out. I tend to be too shy to say anything to them most of the time.

    So nice to know that your handmade projects are appreciated enough to be taken to daycare.

    By Blogger Dorothy, at 10:50 AM  

  • I'm a preschool teacher and from time to time in my classroom I may or may not have been seen turning a child's sweater inside out to see it is hand knit or if it has a brand name label. I've only asked a few adults, mostly people found in or around LYS or the parents of the suspicious articles wearer :)

    xo,
    Emily

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home