aswim in knits

Monday, December 11, 2006

housewarming pillows

Yesterday, I paid a visit to the Mafia, Ms. 1890, Wifey, and Little Man, so that I could bring some of these home for my own impending move.

I also dropped off a housewarming gift -- some pillows for lounging around on. Now that they resides Chez Mafia, I can show some photos ...

I was determined to use stash for this gift, and I did! The front pillow is made from some a sample swatch of home-dec fabric that I picked up at the Edith and Edna craft basement this summer.


The colors in this fabric inspired the stripey pillow, which was knit almost entirely from a selection of wooly bits that came from the MDK Hefty Bag.


There are 9 colors in the pillow, and I used a stripe sequence of 6-3-5-2-4 (inspired by the stripes in the Harlot's Tiptoe pattern). So, a random looking stripe sequence that still feels well-balanced.

I still can't believe how well the colors in the lot of wooly bits matched the pattern in the fabric. Since the yarns seemed to range from DK to heavy worsted, I knit the whole thing at about 20 sts/4 in. To keep the pillow form from showing through the looser gauges, I backed the knit panel with the same fabric as I used for the backs of the pillows, a mossy green microsuede. (Purchased at my local fabric store, from the remnant table, on sale. Score!)

The pillows are 18" x 18", which should be useful for anything from napping to pillow-fort-building. They are very comfy -- I tested! I am definitely going to have to make some of these for myself when we move to our new house.

11 Comments:

  • I attest to the comfort and beauty. I am one seriously lucky Mafia! THANKSSSSS!!

    By Blogger FemiKnitMafia, at 2:31 PM  

  • Those are fab and the colors look so nice together. What a find on that fabric!

    By Blogger Julie, at 2:41 PM  

  • Oh I love those pillows! Especially the knit one. Plus you just gave me a great idea!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:26 PM  

  • Oooh la la! Very nice!

    By Blogger Stacy, at 3:42 PM  

  • that knit pillow is fabulous! i love the striping :)

    By Blogger spajonas, at 4:41 PM  

  • nice!

    By Blogger maryse, at 8:49 PM  

  • Those are really cool!

    By Blogger Chris, at 9:12 PM  

  • I love the knit pillow. Excellent color combination and strip balance indeed!

    By Blogger Rhonda the Stitchingnut, at 8:58 AM  

  • Wowee! Who knew that a Heftty bag of yarn could result in something like that pillow? It's really fantastic! I mean, like, really FanFREAKINGtastic!

    Bravo!

    By Blogger ashayne, at 5:05 PM  

  • great idea! I may have to try something similar... after the holidays, of course!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:05 AM  

  • fabric is available online for the cover of the chair. with reasonable price.

    By Anonymous digital textile printing, at 2:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home