aswim in knits

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

new house, we hope

Thank you for crossing your fingers for us. I think it worked.

If all else goes well, here is where I will be living come February ...


This is a lovely mid-century ranch house, spacious but not too big. (Ms. 1890, meet Ms. 1954). And yes, it will have a craft room!

The kicker? It's bigger than the house that we walked away from, with a bigger yard, better decorated, with a new kitchen and updated bath, and room for both cars in the garage Oh yeah, and it was less expensive too!!

Now for the boring stuff ... legal paperwork, financing, blah blah blah. Then, we close in January and get to paint, decorate, and buy furniture.

Decorating scares me -- I know what I like, but I don't know how to make it happen in my own house. Here are a few homes that inspire me ...

In Massachusetts

Family Room

light and airy, with piano

casual and comfy

colorful and cozy

this house -- whole thing :)

HELP! Where do I start? We have a budget to buy new furniture for the main living area (family room) and lots of paint, etc. So much to think about...

8 Comments:

  • Oh wow, nice tree in the front! Closing in January, how exciting! I spent the last couple of summers painting our house- upstairs one year and downstairs the next. Those color cards in the paint section, those are my friend. I'll also say that taping is a waste of time- get all those little rolly paint pads and the bitty ones on a stick for doing windows and door frames or corners.

    By Blogger Julie, at 4:41 PM  

  • Take it one step at a time! But yeah, see this all worked out for the better. Your going to love it!

    As far as decorating, I'd find your furniture first then worry about paint, etc. so it matches your furniture. But if your chaning the flooring, do that first because that's much more long-term then even furniture.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:42 PM  

  • Congratulations! The house looks lovely.

    Have fun decorating - I have no helpful hints for you because I SUCK at decorating :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:41 PM  

  • What's not to like about bigger, nicer, and less expensive?! Congrats!

    Heh, I've had a paint splotch/swatch on my bathroom wall for a year. Decorating scares me, too.

    By Blogger Chris, at 6:36 PM  

  • Awesome news! I'm not the one to ask about decorating, but I'll send my husband on over to help!

    By Blogger Jofrog, at 10:22 PM  

  • What town is it in?

    Don't forget that the decorating and painting process can be gradual. Just like when you're first out of college and all your furniture is hand-me-downs, side -of-the-road finds, Salvation Army deals and stolen milk crates, and you replace things as you can afford them. :)

    I don't know if you know about The Container Store (they have a location in Natick) but they might be a good place to start for budgeting out storage and shelving solutions, especially for the craft room. They take your room and devise a whole system for you. It's pretty cool.

    There's always Christmas Tree Shop, too, for throw pillows and cheapo chenille throws to make your current stuff match the house's old decor while you work out what you want to do.

    Good luck and congrats! :)

    By Blogger Jena, at 8:38 AM  

  • one of my favorite blogs that could be of use to you is apartment therapy (http://www.apartmenttherapy.com). even though you are moving into a house, not an apartment, you'll find that AT has a lot of good advice to give about decorating, painting, furniture, art, etc. spend some time there looking around and make yourself a little scrapbook of the colors and designs that interest you most. then i would suggest working on one room at a time! don't go overboard and try to do everything at once! choose an aesthetic and build on it.

    anyway, i love ranch houses :) this one looks like a keeper. i'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for an excellent inspection and an above-board seller.

    By Blogger spajonas, at 11:08 AM  

  • congratulations. i have to say that i'm jealous -- you have a garage!

    it looks like you're preference for wallcovering leans towards neutrals so paint first before you get your furniture in. so much easier then the other way around.

    it'll be fun though.

    what town is it in?

    By Blogger maryse, at 6:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home