aswim in knits

Thursday, November 02, 2006

the object of my affection

This is the Nantucket Jacket from the upcoming winter issue of Interweave Knits.


I covet this sweater. Normally, I don't get obsessive about designs ... but this one has been on my mind since I saw the preview on line.

I love the moss stitch triangles. Are they gussets?


I *heart* Norah Gaughan. I'll be buying the mag when it hits the street on November 14. (I just got my last issue of the subscription my mom got me for Christmas, and I'm not sure if she will be renewing it or not. I guess I should ask her!)

Did I mention that 2 bags of Berroco Pure Merino came home with me last weekend? The Fabric Place was having a sale on Pure Merino during October -- $5.95/skein. Then, wandering into the store for something unrelated, I saw that there was another unadvertised sale -- 25% off of everything in the store, including items that were already on sale!

So, I bought 20 balls of the Bordeaux color. For $4.50/skein, I wasn't sure that I could find a better deal on any other yarn. And, it's sometimes just easier to knit a pattern with the yarn it was designed for.


The pattern calls for 18 skeins for the largest size, but I think I want to make full length sleeves, so I got a couple extra. I'm not sure what the largest size is, but I would probably want a 42" sweater (I'll have to measure some that are already in my closet!), and that's usually near the top of the size range.


I want to start this sweater with a "clean conscience", which explains yesterday's posting about finishing up things that are in process! So, once the scarf and poncho are done, it will be Nantucket season here at Aswim in Knits...

11 Comments:

  • wow - that IS a nice sweater. It is definitely worth obsessing over.

    By Blogger Bostonworkerbee, at 4:44 PM  

  • I feel exactly the same, and was thinking of ordering the yarn for myself so that it would get here on or around the 14th as an early (by two days) birthday present. I LOVE that sweater! It may just be the next hot sweater in blogland. :=)

    By Blogger Jofrog, at 4:45 PM  

  • it's a beautiful sweater. and i really should stop by the fabric place more often.

    By Blogger maryse, at 8:50 AM  

  • it certainly is a beautiful sweater and i'm sure that many people will be making it. it's so stylish! you should start a KAL ;)

    i love your color choice. the perfect winter sweater color.

    By Blogger spajonas, at 10:42 AM  

  • I got my copy of Interweave yesterday and that is on my list to make. I am with you on wanting long sleeves though.

    By Blogger Mindy, at 11:16 AM  

  • that is a great design, I love her patterns too. They are always classic looking. Can't wait to see your beautiful creation.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:00 PM  

  • I was eyeing that one up in the preview too. Now I can't wait until it hits the stands so I can have the pattern.

    By Blogger Dorothy, at 3:09 PM  

  • I LOVE that yarn -- I saw it at Fabric Place, contemplated buying it and walked away. Mistake, mistake! Look forward to following your progress with this project!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:16 PM  

  • I got my IWK in the mail Friday and it was an uncommonly good issue.

    By Blogger Chris, at 10:49 AM  

  • I'm making this one, too. And I would have chosen the same color (bordeaux), had I bought the Berroco yarn. As it is, I'm using a natural cream color wool with light tan basket weave buttons (think Nantucket baskets) to save $ on the yarn.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:40 PM  

  • Hey, great sweater!! Could I please get the pattern from someone?
    Am German and we don't get the mag anywhere plus it's last year's.

    Found the blog leading to your blog when surfing away from my friends' baby blog....

    Thanks a lot for sending it to me under linguini@web.de

    Chris

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home