aswim in knits

Monday, November 20, 2006

BBPBP* progress

*BBPBP = Big Brown Paper Bag Poncho

Chugging along ... here is a photo from last week.

It looks about the same now, but another couple inches longer. It's at 18" now, and I am aiming for 22", I think. I'm going to put it on waste yarn later today and try it on.

Any suggestions for how to finish the bottom edge? I want it to be pretty and I want it to lay flat. I don't like the look of garter stitch. I think a hem will be too thick in this yarn (18 sts/4in), and keep the bottom edge from draping properly. An applied i-cord probably won't keep it from rolling up (but correct me now if you know diffferently...).

Ribbing will pull in too much, I think. Right? Or could I do something like a 3x1 rib and get away with it?

I'm thinking that the 2 best options are either several rows of seed stitch or a couple of rows of single crochet, finished perhaps with a row of crab stitch.

Any thoughts?

4 Comments:

  • if you can get a hold of a copy of "knitting on the edge" by nikki epstein then you should be able to come up with a cute edging for this. that books has lots of ideas!

    By Blogger spajonas, at 11:16 AM  

  • Personally I love a seed stitch border. Looks nice, not really difficult to do, and has a very nice finished look to it. My other suggestion would be some sort of cable, but you still might have a rolling issue. If you'd like more thoughts on that, I'd be happy to try and explain what I mean on the cable edging.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:05 PM  

  • lookin' good! a really nice thing about the neutral color is that she will be able to wear it with lots of different things. You are really burning thru your project list.

    By Blogger Bostonworkerbee, at 12:53 PM  

  • Seed stitch!! Seed stitch in the round rocks if you use scoop purling...

    By Blogger Chris, at 11:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home