aswim in knits

Thursday, December 07, 2006

where was I?

Umm, I've been a lazy blogger recently. Lazy in other areas too -- I finished Grandma's brown paper bag poncho, including all eleventy-gazillion stitches of i-cord bind off. I just have to weave ends and block it, but I have been atrociously lazy about it. Maybe this weekend!

However, I did start on the Nantucket Jacket.


As of last night, the sweater is on hold. One of the design features that made me want to knit this sweater are the triangular seed stitch gussets shown in the magazine photo.

Of course, I am not quite the waifish build of the cover model, and I am making a larger size than pictured. In the larger size, the pattern gets its extra width in the seed stitch areas ... instead of decreasing to triangle points topped with a column of eyelets, the decreases lead to a wide column of seed stitch with an eyelet pattern down the middle. It's ok looking, but it loses the design element that made me want to knit this in the first place!

Now I need to rewrite the pattern, probably with triangular gussets like in the photo, but some added cabling/ribbing in between and on the outside edge to add the width I need.

In the meantime, I started a sock instead. It's the second sock of a simple pair of garter rib socks. No pic, as it's only an inch long. If you want to know what it looks like, check out its mate, completed back in May!

6 Comments:

  • yeah, that's one of the features i like best about the nantucket jacket. i would hate to lose it too. good idea to redesign the larger size. it'll take more time, but heck, might as well!

    By Blogger spajonas, at 7:30 PM  

  • oh dear, that one was on my list too, and especially for the shaping. I'll have to see if it's worth fiddling with (after I finish a few other sweaters on the needles...)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:51 PM  

  • Thanks for sharing that info - I'm sure I would have to upsize, too, and I'd hate to lose that feature.

    By Blogger Chris, at 10:29 PM  

  • oh god. the words "I need to rewrite the pattern" send chills down my spine. you are so brave.

    By Blogger Bostonworkerbee, at 9:24 AM  

  • Good to know about the pattern, I really liked that pattern and was thinking of knitting it.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:39 AM  

  • I'm SO glad you posted this...I'm totally with you on rewriting the pattern. Thank you for sharing your results as a heads-up!!!!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home