aswim in knits

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

winners!!

Dude. The Hefty Bag is here. Time to announce some contest winners!

First, though, I wonder what the UPS guys thought of Ann's packaging...

FYI, UPS did NOT want to deliver this package to me. I have spoken to no less than 7 UPS customer service representatives in the past two days. There were some strong opinions exchanged. (To cranky UPS customer service rep #5 or 6: "I'm not sure that you understand this, but I NEED to receive this package TODAY.")

So, when the box did arrive, what did I do? Dump it out all over the living room floor, of course. See that black blob on the left? That is THE Hefty Bag.

What was in the box, you might ask? Well, as Ann put it, "the good, the bad and, yes, the ugly".

Since 227 of you entered guesses in the name that item contest, I thought it would be only fair to give more than one prize.

First, what were those things? They are jar lids covered with Sculpey polymer clay. Specifically, they are lids to baby food jars. One of you (Ruth M., apparently blogless) guessed exactly right -- she knew that they were polymer clay and surmised that they were "jar lid covers for baby food jars full of beads." Well, no beads in these photos, but given my large bead supply, not a bad idea.


So, that qualifies Ruth to win a fabulous prize! Unfortunately, Ruth did not leave her email address. Ruth, if you are reading, please send me an email!!! You will get your choice of the good, the bad, the ugly ... or the purely random.

THE GOOD:

4 skeins of Rowan Cork, in a lovely deep blue shade. Also comes with a pattern for "Freda", a capelet thing-a-ma-bob

2 skeins of Regia sock yarn

A selection of alpaca yarn (maybe sportweight?) from La Droguerie in Paris. Mmm, perhaps some stranded color knitting??

THE BAD:

5 skeins of Berroco Linet. Bad enough to warrant this note from Ann (click the pic to make bigger if you can't read it...)

THE UGLY:

5 skeins of a retina-searing collection of purely petroleum-based yarn (if you can call it that!)


THE RANDOM:

Classic Elite weekend cotton -- 4 skeins burgundy and 5 coordinating variegateds

Peaches and Cream cotton -- how could the dishcloth queens not send along some of this?

After Ruth picks her goodies, I'll ship the rest of this off to six more of you. The catch is, you won't know if you are getting the good, the bad, the ugly, or the random until it arrives at your house!

The fine folks at random.org let me know that I should send this MDK lovin' along to the following peeps:

Loribird

Robin

Wendee

Susan

Panda

Emily

If you are one of these 6, please send me an email with your mailing address.

Stay tuned tomorrow for more info on the jars pictured above ... and details on how one of them could come live with you!

15 Comments:

  • They're baby food jar lid cozies! Cool. I wasn't that far off with beer bottle cap cozies.

    "Things on the internet are larger than they appear."

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:02 AM  

  • those baby food jars are very cute. i love them. i wasn't even close.

    damn it! i want to win a prize!

    By Blogger maryse, at 6:06 AM  

  • great idea with the sculpey! so did you mold the sculpey to the lids and then bake it without the lid, or with the lid? i'm curious.

    By Blogger spajonas, at 8:20 AM  

  • what a cleaver idea! I love it, I have a bag full of empty baby food jars too that I've saved for soem reason...lol
    I actually like the linet

    By Blogger soapy, at 8:20 AM  

  • Congrats to the winners! Pretty fun bag o' yarn.

    By Blogger Chris, at 10:49 AM  

  • Ugh. Hate... UPS... so... much! They have delivered two out of three packages to the wrong address in the last month. When they do get it right, they don't always ring the bell (I have been at home when this happens), and when they do, they don't wait for me to answer the door. And don't get me started on the state of some of the packages I've recieved...

    By Blogger Nadira, at 10:57 AM  

  • That's what they call a "mixed bag", in every possible sense. ;-)

    I can't believe you're giving away the Cork! That's a pair of Log Cabin socks from "Handknit Holidays", you know.

    By Blogger Beth S., at 11:12 AM  

  • Congratulations to all the winners. :) That's a lot of mixed yarns ... too cool.

    By Blogger Samantha, at 12:13 PM  

  • Congrats to the winners...(even if I missed out)!

    I love the jars! What a cute idea!!!

    By Blogger ~Kristie, at 3:25 PM  

  • Fabulous jars - so pretty! What a great way to make organization fun. :)

    Enjoy sending out yarn - such a fun (if odd) combo!

    By Blogger Megs, at 4:41 PM  

  • I'm going to be more specific when I guess next time. So close, and yet so far ........

    Those jars are fantabulastic. What a great idea.

    By Blogger Ruth, at 10:21 PM  

  • MagKnits had a pattern a while back for a dog collar and leash that would be perfect for "the ugly". Just sayin'.

    By Blogger sheep#100, at 11:28 PM  

  • Woo Hoo! Thanks Danielle! I'm so excited! I can't wait to see what bag I end up with.

    By Blogger Wendee, at 3:54 PM  

  • Yay! My package arrived today, complete with candy and stitch markers to die for! Danielle, you are very talented!

    And, I'm quite proud to be the owner of the ugly, along with yummy dishcloth yarn and some absolutely gorgeous Rowan! I guess you felt sorry for me.

    One thing about it, whatever is made from the ugly will last forever! Included was a pattern for a dog leash and collar. Zoey (my dog) is impressed.

    Thank you so much!

    By Blogger Susan, at 7:06 PM  

  • The package was on my doorstep today! The BAD! I can't wait to see what this knits up into! I've already devoured half the yummies and the lovely stitch markers are going straight into duty.

    Thanks again!

    By Blogger Wendee, at 10:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home