aswim in knits

Wednesday, January 31, 2007

help! what size are baby feet?

Last night, I started a pair of baby socks as a gift for a pregnant friend. Although I'm not really following a pattern, I did use the dimensions of the baby socks in Interweave Knits' Better Than Booties patterns.

The pattern has you make the foot 4 3/4" around and 3 1/2" long. So that's what I did. (And then made a ribbed leg.)

But, these look awfully big for a baby! I did find a chart online that says that a 6 to 8 pound baby has a 3 - 3 1/2" long foot. So, I guess these are O.K. Any moms out there who can confirm or deny that these WILL fit a baby, maybe a month or two after birth??

And, while you are at it, what do you think of the color of the yarn (Koigu)? Okay for a baby girl? I love the bright colors, but I wonder what others think??

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

  • I'm not sure about the size issue, but I can tell you that I love your color choice -- they look great!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:45 PM  

  • Love the colors and pattern- If your friend is anything like me, she'll be psyched to get baby girl stuff that is cute and bright, not overly pale pink and ruffly!

    Geneva had huuuge feet (still does actually) but 3-1/2" doesn't sound unreasonable at all. I'll try to measure some baby socks and her feet for you when I get home.

    By Blogger Erin, at 6:50 PM  

  • awwww! those are so cute! i love little baby socks. the size looks about right to me, but even if they were big, she'll grow into them. it's nice to have things for babies to wear at all ages.

    By Blogger spajonas, at 6:56 PM  

  • Those are wonderful ... I love the colors. The mom will be getting a LOT of pink, so some primary colors will be a nice change.

    As for the size, yes, they'll fit. If not now, at some point in the near future. That's the beauty of those bitty feet ... they grow.

    By Blogger Ruth, at 6:54 AM  

  • I have no idea, but they are darned cute!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:37 AM  

  • I love the colors! I personally like to knit nice bright colors for babies.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:26 PM  

  • They are the perfect size, Knit On!

    By Blogger Jofrog, at 4:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home