aswim in knits

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

My First FO, my current WIP

Yesterday, I dug out and wore my first-ever finished object -- a garter stitch scarf made out of Lion Brand Homespun. I wear a scarf almost every day, and often leave it on throughout the day. I reached for the same scarf again this morning, so I thought I might post a pic of it (thanks, Photo Booth!).


I taught myself how to knit about 3 1/2 years ago. While technically, my mother-in-law taught me how to form a knit and purl stitch, I didn't *really* learn to knit from her. From what she taught me, I knit a few inches but kept making mistakes, and with nobody there to help me, I put down the needles before long.

Until one day, when I was suddenly overwhelmed by the urge to take up knitting. I went to the local big-box craft store and got some cheap yarn, and knit and knit and knit. The scarf grew to be well over 6 feet. Hooked at once!

For my second FO, I discovered the LYS. And the world of expensive yarn. This second-ever FO, sadly lost along the way, was a roll-brim hat made out of some $15/skein soft wool. Didn't take long before I realized that this hobby could consume me :)

Since then, I've made lots of other scarves, and lots of other knitted objects, but my first FO still has a place in my heart. And, since it is 100% acrylic, it will probably survive until my death!

Why have I resorted to posting photos of long-ago knitted items? Well, I've been running low on knitting time around here. On Friday, Thom and I closed on our new house. We probably won't move until after we do a lot of painting, install a wood floor, and tackle some other small jobs around the place. (For more details, I set up a separate house blog.)


I've been working on the Nantucket Jacket, but the only knitting time I am likely to have in the immediate future is on the commute in to work, and at occasional lunch-time knitting groups. The fronts are about 12" long. Now I need to decide what to do about the collar.

The original design, shown here, has a moss stitch shawl collar. I love this feature. I do not love the moss stitch on the body of the sweater, peeking out from under the collar. The collar is knit along with the fronts. I need to figure out how to adjust the pattern to get rid of the moss stitch on the body. I'll have to ponder a bit...

4 Comments:

  • contracts on closing on your new home. Funny my first FO was in Homespun too, a very basic sweater. Like you said, it'll last until death.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:37 AM  

  • congratulations, new home owner! that is terrific!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:46 PM  

  • Congrats!!! Perfectly understandable that you're not going to have a lot of spare time for a while.

    My first knitted object was an acrylic scarf, too.

    By Blogger Chris, at 12:59 PM  

  • Someday all that will be left of humanity is fun fur scarves, which I expect will outlast even the cockroaches. It's chilling to contemplate! ;-)

    Congrats on the closing! Did your hand cramp up from all the papers you had to sign? ;-)

    By Blogger Beth S., at 1:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home