aswim in knits

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

I effed an o, or maybe two

It's been a long time since any finished objects were shown around here. Upon closer inspection of Ye Olde Blogge Archive, it seems that not only have I not finished anything in a while, I also haven't shown you the things I did manage to finish!

Don't get your hopes up - it's just socks.

Way back in early July, I knit some handspun socks. Then I took a really craptacular photo of them. And posted the photo to Flickr. And updated Ravelry. And after all that, I promptly forgot to blog about them.
handspun socks (by aswim in knits)
Why yes, they ARE pinned to the fabric walls of my cube open office at work, thankyouverymuch.

Last week, I also finished my Traveler's Stockings.
Traveler's Stocking (by aswim in knits)

I absolutely HATED knitting these. I knit tightly, and that made the twisted stitches at the top quite beastly. Plus, I had the patterns *almost* memorized, but not quite - it was annoying to have to look at the chart when I almost didn't need it.

I have a theory about the twisted stitch cuff. I think Nancy Bush designed a sock that would be full of beautiful twisted stitch patterns that would extend down the whole leg of the sock. Then she knit three inches of it and wanted to slit her wrists. So, she threw in a purl round and some leg decreases, kept one tiny pattern on the sides, and called it a day. (Ok, not really, but let me make myself feel better, ok?)

I usually knit pretty socks for others and plain ones for myself, but I decided to start making myself some fancy ones. I do love how these look, and I am glad that I persevered. I can't wait to wear them this fall and winter!

Back in February, I decided to knit a rainbow of socks. In color order.

Taste the Rainbow, II (by aswim in knits)

After finishing the red ones, I've (obviously) moved onto my orange ones.
Orange Julius socks (by aswim in knits)

I'm calling these my "Orange Julius" socks. (Brownie points to the first person who can guess where the name came from!)

Whoops, gotta go to a meeting now ...

Labels: , ,

16 Comments:

  • You named those socks after me, didn't you?

    By Blogger Carole Knits, at 4:45 PM  

  • All I know is there used to be an Orange Julius stand in the mall in Burlington VT.

    By Blogger (formerly) no-blog-rachel, at 5:45 PM  

  • Ahhhhhh, Orange Julius (http://www.orangejulius.com/index.html). Guilty pleasure of my mall-rat years.

    Lovely socks, as always. I am particularly partial to the red ones, although I am sure that comes as no surprise.

    By Blogger Ruth, at 6:19 PM  

  • It's either an orange monkey or a yummy drink of my childhood. Them and Dairy Queen banana split Blizzards. Mmm...

    Love the orange socks!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:41 PM  

  • I like your theory about how Nancy Bush came up with that specific pattern. You may be onto something with that. Your socks are lovely! I am drooling over your handspun yarn. Beautiful stuff, lady!

    And your picot edge? Pure perfection. So pretty!

    By Blogger maritza, at 6:54 PM  

  • Yum! I totally love the orange!!

    By Blogger Meghann, at 7:51 PM  

  • I bemoan the semi-recent closures of Orange Julius at both the Libery Tree Mall and North Shore Mall on a near weekly basis.

    By Blogger Bertha, at 8:27 PM  

  • Your handspun socks look like a colorway Trekking should make. Heh, good to know about the Traveler's stockings - they've always tempted me.

    By Blogger Chris, at 9:06 PM  

  • mmm, i haven't had an orange julius in years! are these the no-purl monkey socks?

    By Blogger spajonas, at 9:40 PM  

  • Those handspun socks are gorgeous! Great job on the Traveler's socks; I like your story about them, too :)

    Yummm, Orange Julius.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:27 AM  

  • The socks all look great! Yum, Orange Julius.

    By Blogger Kate Linnea Welsh, at 9:30 AM  

  • Ha! Okay, I'm the only one here with a Paul Frank problem? (Love the Monkey + Orange = Paul Frank/tasty drink!)

    I love that pattern- I may need to knit a third pair.

    By Blogger Erin, at 1:46 PM  

  • Cute projects! The rainbow pictures make the 8 year old in me so happy. :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:00 PM  

  • I love all 3 socks. So what's new, huh? I especially love the Orange Julius but is the drink too obvious? Well the name fits the color for sure.

    By Blogger Rhonda the Stitchingnut, at 11:30 AM  

  • Note to self: next time I buy that yarn, I'm keeping it.

    I would not be at all surprised if you were right about the design process. Of such things are compromises made, and a good thing, too, as we need all the knitters we can get. I do like extending one tiny bit of the cuff design all the way down the leg... I may steal that at some point.

    Your handspun socks are gobsmacking. What roving did you start with?

    By Blogger Lucia, at 4:22 PM  

  • Those are great colors!!

    By Blogger Sarah, at 7:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home