aswim in knits

Sunday, September 30, 2007

warning: recycled content ahead!

Jane is hosting her annual "Show Me Your Socks Contest". I took this photo back in the winter, remembering her annual contest. We had just bought our new house, and were spending weekends there doing work on it, but had not yet moved in.


This was just after doing laundry. At the time, I wrote "What will we do when we move in and hang curtains???" Well, no curtains yet, but we have painted the walls and replaced the folding camp chairs with real furniture.

This photo shows 8 pairs of socks that I have knit for myself, plus one pair of Sockapalooza gifted socks. From left to right:
Generic socks in Artyarns Ultramerino
Generic socks in Jawoll Jacquard
Sockapalooza 2006 socks, from Ruth
Thujas in Big Print
Jaywalkers in Elann something-or-other
Broadripples in Cascade Fixation
Generic socks in Sweet Georgia
Simply Lovely Lace in Louet Opal
Generic socks in Koigu (shown below!)

It does not show the two pairs of socks I've finished for myself since then --
Diagonal Cross-Rib socks in Artyarns Ultramerino
Garter Rib Socks in Schaefer Anne

It also doesn't show the socks that I've knit for others since I started knitting socks
Generic socks for Thom in Smart superwash wool (read below)
Spey Valley socks for Da (see below)
Saucy Socks in Nature's Palette for my recent Sockapalooza pal
Friday Harbor socks for Boss Lady knit in Baby Cashmerino
Baudelaires knit in Koigu for my MIL last Christmas
Jaywalkers knit in Artyarns Ultramerino for my first sockpal
Whitby socks knit in Louet Opal for my dad
Embossed Leaves socks knit for my MIL 2 Christmases ago
Red Sox socks for my Mom
Red Sox socks for my Dad (both in red and white Silja)
Generic manly man socks knit in Regia Tweed for Thom

And, for the smaller feet:
2 pairs of baby socks for Afghans for Afghans, one in Koigu and one in Knitpicks Sock Garden
baby socks for the Wooly Babe, in Socks That Rock
baby socks for the Peanut, in Koigu
baby socks for MJ in Koigu

So, if you count the baby socks, that's 26 pairs of socks that I've knit!

And, in the interest of playing by the rules ("Take a photo of the very first pair of socks you ever knit, as well as your last/latest pair."), I present the firsts and lasts ...

These are my first socks for me:
DSCN0635-2
Knit in Koigu, with a pattern cobbled together from various sources.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I think I knit my first pair of socks for Thom before these, in the days before Ye Olde Blogge. In fact, since I don't have a photo of them, I'm pretty sure that they were pre-blog, and therefore, my first socks ever. I'll have to go look in his drawer so I can take a photo for Ravelry. They are DK weight green tweed, and knit from the pattern in the Bible According to Ann Budd, green version.

Anyways, my most recent socks are these ones, a pair of Spey Valleys for my FIL, finished just a few weeks ago.
Spey Valley

Sportweight green tweed. Like father like son.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

  • Love your blue socks :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:43 PM  

  • What a clever curtain idea...LOL

    I'm sure writing this blog with the links took almost as much time as knitting all 26 pairs! Good for you!

    Spey Valley are still one of my favorite pairs that I have knit for myself.

    By Blogger Rebecca, at 8:03 PM  

  • The Babe wore her pretty socks this week ... they fit beautifully!

    I really like those Spey Valley socks. Hmmmmmm ... would a new pair of socks be a good way to pay my dad back for helping out here last week?

    By Blogger Ruth, at 10:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home