aswim in knits

Friday, July 06, 2007

meager progress on the fiber stuff, big things in the garden

Little to show here. I was away last week with the kids I coach at their national championship, where we took top-10 finishes in events. Then, I came home and grad school class #2 started up.

Here and there I've done some knitting and some spinning. The big lumpy skein on the top is what I first spun up as singles, and plied recently. This is some mystery wool top, given to me by Teresa. The little skein on the bottom is what was leftover, spun much more evenly.

We've also been doing some gardening. Or, more accurately, moaning about needing to do some gardening. My mom came over and helped us one weekend. She pulled a ton of weeds. I think she missed one, though. See this gigantic thing that is taking over the roses? I think it's a weed. She left it, figuring that anything so large must have been put there intentionally. The fence -- it's six feet tall. The weed (?) must be about 7 feet.

DSCN3324

Can anyone recognize this, or should I get in there and rip it out???

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

  • I have no idea what it is - but I forwarded your post url to a friend who gardens.

    By Blogger Chris, at 9:17 PM  

  • rip that shit, it doesn't belong! You are probably going to have to dig deep. Have fun :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:54 PM  

  • I have no idea - but at least it looks interesting. Shamrocks on steroids?

    By Blogger Kathy, at 12:39 AM  

  • I think it's a columbine, in which case don't rip it out!! They have beautiful blooms. On the other hand, if you have been in your house since spring and it hasn't bloomed, I might be identifying it wrong.

    By Blogger Kathy, at 10:26 AM  

  • It reminds me of a grape vine. Does it want to climb up things, or just grow straight up by itself?

    Anyway, you own that garden now. If you don't like it, rip that sucker right out. :-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:51 PM  

  • I met some columbine for the first time today. The blooms are fabulous, but the plant was about a fifth of the size of the mystery plant.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:07 PM  

  • Does it have flowers? It looks like Hollyhocks. We have them in our garden and they can get very tall. They're definitely not columbines. We have those, too and they are only 2-3 feet tall. A friend once gave me wise gardening advice and I shall pass it along to you: "A weed is anything you don't want in your garden."

    By Blogger Stacy, at 8:03 AM  

  • Wow I have no idea, but those leaves are huge! My husband had my mother-in-law identify a unidentified plant in our front flower box (which we use for herbs). she decided to taste to identify, and identified it as a weed. We thought she was a tad odd for tasting it, he figured she'd smell it for identification sake.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home