aswim in knits

Monday, May 14, 2007

It's a slippery slope, folks

On Sunday, I drove up to NHS&W with the Mafia and her Little Man, and a large green kid-wrangling wagon. When we got there, we hooked up with the (sadly-blogless but newly flickr-ized) Pi Grrrl.

My shopping list looked like this:
  • sock blockers
  • sock yarn for my Sockapalooza 4 pal
  • yarn to make felted clogs for Thom
  • yarn for a baby sweater for my expectant childhood best friend
Did I mention that Pi Grrrl is a spinner? As we wandered about, strolling through the Grafton Fibers booth, I may have pet a few lumps of fiber in luscious purples and blues.

Despite my cries of "I'll consider learning how to spin after I finish grad school," Pi Grrrl may have dragged me kicking and screaming gently nudged me towards a wheel. You know, just to try it out...


See that sign in the back? Yeah, that says "The Merlin Tree".*

At lunch, I may have sat down next to Cheryl and Kristen and Kellee and Teresa. Maybe.

At which point, Kristen may have engaged me in a conversation about Lyle the Louet.

After which, I may have deviated from the shopping list.



Yep, Kristen offered to let Lyle the Louet come live with me for a little while. We'll arrange a pickup at a later date, as the two of us and Lyle are currently located in three different states.

When I got home and told Thom this story, the first thing he said was "is it a travelling wheel or a regular one?" Huh? How does he even know to ask this? (The follow up commentary was "I just want to know how much space this thing will take up.")

It's a slippery slope, folks...

*********
* Dave knew I was a goner before I even sat down at the wheel, as I may have mentioned that I was reading The Age of Homespun by Laurel Thatcher Ulrich. (In my defense, I was a history major, and one of my mentors was a colonial American historian ... it's not THAT far-fetched that I might just happen to read a book where spinning wheels are the main characters!)

Labels: , , , , , ,

12 Comments:

  • Lucky! I'm dying to learn to spin but there's no way right now. Our economics (monetary and space-wise) are prohibitive.

    By Blogger 5elementknitr, at 2:46 PM  

  • heh heh

    By Blogger maryse, at 4:05 PM  

  • Another one bites the dust... I hope to maintain my spinning impervious nature forever!

    By Blogger Chris, at 4:05 PM  

  • Such a great day. Such an easy victim.

    By Blogger FemiKnitMafia, at 4:08 PM  

  • Oh, how awesome! :-) I'm just sorry I couldn't witness the magical transformation in person. ;-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:23 PM  

  • I'm going to be the Lone Knitter Standing re: spinning, I just know it.

    Sorry I missed seeing you ... I went up on Saturday. The fiber looks just luscious.

    By Blogger Ruth, at 4:23 PM  

  • heh heh heh. Once you start you just can't stop!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:24 PM  

  • In my defense, it was barey a nudge in the right direction. Now I'd better go add more pictures to my relevent pictures to my Flickr account since you and Mafia are linking to it!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:34 PM  

  • *shakes head* It's a sad story and all too common...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:38 PM  

  • Yay for loaner wheels! I'm a big believer in passing beginner wheels around, it's hard to buy a wheel if you don't have any spinning experience. So fun to meet you!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:52 PM  

  • Oh, I didn't realize that you'd been converted between chilling with you during Lunch Part One and seeing you around the Hood building. Now I get it!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:50 AM  

  • Well, that's just terrific! I learned on a loaned wheel from Carole, which really gave me time to learn and fall in love with spinning.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home