aswim in knits

Thursday, June 07, 2007

my first spinning

This post has been a couple of weeks in the making. The Mafia told her version of the story and I gave a brief account too ... so now I guess I need to finish it up! Sorry for the delays.

A few of us, including the aforementined Mafia went to NHS&W last month. While we were there, Pi Grrrl dragged me kicking and screaming over to a wheel and forced me to try it out.

OK, I lied. I was a very willing participant. But I resisted the idea of getting a wheel.

Kristen had offered to lend me a wheel, and we made arrangements for a hand-off. Unfortunately, our schedules didn't mesh, so her wheel is still in her posession. However, fiber folks being the generous sort, Cheryl and Julia lent me and the Mafia some wheels. Teresa gave me some fiber -- blue, what a surprise -- and taught me how to use the wheel I ended up with ... Julia's Ashford Joy.

I learned the basics. The very basics. And managed to spin some really questionable singles! (With little twisty nubs!)

Then grad school started, and spinning stopped.

Until the Mafia convinced me that we needed to visit our local crack dealer LYS owner, Lucy.

We took a spindle (spindling?) lesson, which Lucy quickly dubbed "The Danielle and Mafia show", and she threw in some practice on the wheel just for fun.

The next week, we went back for the annual spring sale (25% off everything! and a coupon for a free drop spindle! yes I already had a drop spindle at home, shut up now!)

I pulled out some Romney roving that I purchased at MA S&W a long time ago and started spinning.

I spun up a spindle full, and with my trusty new computer I learned how to Andean Ply.

Here's my first-ever handspun yarn -- all 23 yards of it!! (I have a few more yards that I used as a test-ply ... I wanted to make sure I understood what I was doing before winding it all around my hand.) I think it's between worsted and bulky weight, according to a WPI chart.

I think I'll dye it pink, just for fun. I have a bunch more of this, and now I'm ready to go back to the wheel. It was good to spindle spin to get a better understanding of the concept of spinning, but I'm ready for more!

What should I spin next? The top 2 are from NHS&W, and the bottom is a 70/30 merino/tencel blend from Lucy. I think I'll save that one until I can spin evenly enough to make something useful ... perhaps a winter hat/mittens/scarf set?






Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

  • Good for you! :-) You're off to an excellent start. The first skein is very respectable. :-)

    I remember that when I was just figuring out my wheel, I would stop whenever I got really frustrated and take out the spindle for a while instead. The spindle was something I knew I could handle, and it made me feel so much better after a rough time at the wheel.

    Definitely save the merino/tencel for a while. Get comfy with the stickier stuff first! ;-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:11 PM  

  • Woo, congrats on your first little skein, it looks fab! I was hoping we'd get some pics.

    By Blogger Julie, at 10:13 PM  

  • welcome to the madness!

    By Blogger maryse, at 7:22 AM  

  • Congratulations! There's nothing like your first handspun! now make room for a wheel :-)

    hee hee

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:13 PM  

  • Resistance was futile: you have been aspinnilated. I too would be tempted to leave the purple for later -- spin whichever of the other two appeals to you more. (Kristen said on Saturday that you should spin with fiber you love, and she was right. I have proof.)

    By Blogger Lucia, at 3:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home