aswim in knits

Monday, September 29, 2008

the posts in my head

Last week, Phoe wrote about blogging, as seen through her eyes. Her post, and the comments that followed, made me think.

Bertha asked "Why do I love reading about other people’s lives (good and bad) but assume they’d have zero interest in mine? I don’t know."

And I agree with her. I love reading about other people's lives. I'll admit that part of it is probably just voyeurism. But I also like to read the little vignettes from everyday life. Family, work, health, the occasional forays into politics or religion, and the photos and words about the things we see every day. (Like, who would have thought that a rusty backhoe could be so beautiful?)

Like all bloggers, I compose posts in my head as I go through the day. I rarely sit down and write them, though. While I'm not interested in daily blogging, I do think I may write a bit more in the coming weeks. Maybe. Because I'm noncommittal like that.

***

Tonight is the first practice for the season. As a lot of you know, I coach a synchronized swim team in my hometown. Last week, I realized that this fall marks 20 years of my involvement with the team. I started competing in 5th grade, and started coaching when I was in college. In addition to coaching, I'm also a certified zone judge, and will start working on my national level judge's rating this year.

I love the girls that I coach, and I love the sport. Although it is a second job, and I do get paid, I don't coach for the money. (It's a YMCA team. The pay is not huge!) But I take my commitment to the team very seriously, and spend 10-15 hours a week at the pool, in meetings, or on the phone or email related to coaching.

This year, because it's the right thing for the team, I will be coaching 10-14 year olds. I'm a little bit apprehensive. This age group usually has a lot of *ahem* personality! Let's see how it goes ... I'm sure I'll blog more about it.

Labels:

14 Comments:

  • 10-14yo girls? God love you. I have one of those in my house, and one is enough.

    By Blogger Ruth, at 11:23 AM  

  • What's the age group you usually coach? I am not sure that I am looking forward to June's 10-14 age (or really, 10-30) so...good luck with that!

    Reminds me, I really need to blog...I'll shoot for tomorrow.

    By Blogger Bertha, at 12:00 PM  

  • I for one would love to hear more about your coaching. Synchonized swimming is super great to watch.

    I wanna see more of that new camera too. :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:29 PM  

  • Thanks for pointing me to Phoe's blog - that post was a great introduction.

    I don't think it's voyuerism as much as it is that reading blogs takes time, so there needs to be something compelling in the blog to keep us coming back. People who are real, and who post about their real lives, are much more compelling than those who stick to knitting, only knitting, just the knitting.

    And I'd totally love to hear more about your coaching - I have great respect for people who coach because it is most certainly a labor of love.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:33 PM  

  • 10 to 14 year old girls - now that's gotta be good for some interesting blog fodder!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:43 PM  

  • We've "talked" about this before. I admire anyone who takes the time to get involved in kids athletics. Just keep the parents away!! Good luck with your new girls.

    By Blogger Deb, at 3:05 PM  

  • It's so interesting, as the mother of boys, hearing about a girls synchro swimming team. I bet the dynamics couldn't be more different.

    It's true about the blog stuff -- I've temp. suspended blogging because I don't blog much and often find myself not wanting to blog about knitting so much. I love hearing about all the other stuff.

    By Blogger Kathy, at 3:51 PM  

  • That's the thing about blogging. If you just do it then it usually works out pretty well.

    By Blogger Carole Knits, at 4:00 PM  

  • I have to say that my favorite "knitting" blogs don't limit themselves to knitting!

    By Blogger Chris, at 7:12 PM  

  • I compose posts in my head all the time and then I forget about what I'm going to compose.

    That's amazing that you've been involved in that sport for so long! Good luck with the new age group.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:52 PM  

  • Wow, my post is now, thanks to you, your post. With the exception of the coaching/swimming thing. I don't do that.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:19 PM  

  • I do the same thing. I like to hear about the non-knitting parts of people's lives. But when I think about things that happen in my own life, I often think no one will be interested.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:28 PM  

  • Ten to 14-year-olds are fascinating people, or at least the two I know are (daughters of a friend of mine). I think writing about coaching them wil do two things for you: develop your observational skills, so you see - really see - what these kids are doing; and develop your empathy with them (not that you don't already have lots!), because when you go to write about their foibles, you will want to strike the balance between sharing a joke with us and possibly embarassing a kid.

    Should be interesting!

    By Blogger Lynn, at 7:10 AM  

  • 10-14 year olds. whoa. theys crazy! i have twin nieces in that age bracket and they both couldn't be more different except for the crazy part.

    i have to agree with elisa. she's kind of nailed it with the compelling bit. and she says it so much better than i do. anyway, i'm naturally curious, so i like to read about people's lives and maybe make a connection, or be inspired by their story or their work or whatever.

    and you want that backhoe don't you.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home