aswim in knits

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

jaywalkers in trouble

After some charity knitting recently, I got back to working on my sockapaloooza socks -- the Jaywalkers. I've been working them two-at-once, toe-up, and I got about half-way through the gussets before I realized that something was amiss.



Although the gusset looks fine in the photo, the socks were coming out too long. I had only done half of the required increases, but the socks were long enough that I think I was ready to turn the heel.

Part of the problem could have been that I knit too much foot before starting the gusset. It's kind of hard to tell exactly where to place the start of the gusset, since these socks are not for me and I can't just try it on for fit.

Also, the pattern has no listed row gauge. Even when I am getting stitch gauge, I am sometimes off on the row-gauge. That might be part of the problem.

In the end, rather than try to figure it all out, I decided to just knit a short-row heel. I also thought that this would be a good way to conserve yarn, since I am still concerned that these socks are taking up more of the yarn than I expected. So, I decided to weigh what I had knit so far, and what was left on the skein.

While doing all of this, I discovered another problem.



Read the display ... 46 grams. I haven't cut any yarn off the skein, so this skein was short 4 grams. I weighed the other sock and its attached yarn ball, and it also weighs 46 grams.

That means that each ball is 8% lighter than advertised, which works out to 15 yards shorter per skein.

So, I weighed the other two colors of this yarn that I bought on the same day ...



No problems with either of those skeins. (These are also for socks, so there is another skein in each colorway, both of which also weigh in at 50 or 51 grams.)

I'm going to email Artyarns using the form on their website and see what they have to say about this. I hear that they have good customer service, so I hope that they will fix this problem ...

5 Comments:

  • Bummer. Good luck with customer service - I have my fingers crossed for you.

    By Blogger Chris, at 3:18 PM  

  • Oh no! Is it ultramerino or supermerino? I just bought several skeins yesterday and was worried about the yardage for socks.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:01 PM  

  • scandalous! keep up posted :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:38 PM  

  • Keep us posted on that -- for some reason, a lot of knitting related companies don't have great track records with customer service, but Iris has been great with other people I know, so I hope things work out for you with that.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:51 PM  

  • D'oh! Good luck with artyarns. I love the pics too. I swear, I've put more yarn on my kitchen scale than food!

    By Blogger Nadira, at 10:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home