aswim in knits

Monday, April 03, 2006

funk

I'm in a mini-funk. I had a long weekend -- a 5 hour practice on Saturday, followed by a 12 hour series of competition-practice-coaches' meetings on Sunday. And a dinner with a friend, a trip to the car dealership for my Honda 30,000 mile service, and some errands to run. And, on top of it all, losing an hour b/c of Daylight Savings Time. Too bad I don't have time to celebrate National Napping Day today.

So, I'm pulling out some old photos. Two weekends ago, I dyed some yarn.



The skein on the right is some of Knitpick's Wool of the Andes. I dyed it with some Kool-Aid Grape Illusion drink mix. I saw a purple package with the word "grape" and thought I was buying something purple. When I saw the orange-yellow powder, I read the package more carefully and realized that the "illusion" part was that yellow powder makes a red drink that tastes like (purple) grapes. Oh well, more red yarn!!

I tied off the skein every couple inches with a tightly knotted piece of cotton yarn. The skein looks tyedyed, and the yarn has little white speckles. I made a hat for Dulaan with this skein; photo to come when I remember to take one.

The skein on the left in the photo is a skein of apple green Lopi. I overdyed it using some royal blue Wilton paste food coloring that I had hanging around.

This photo shows the difference between the original yarn and the end result. I was going for a deeper teal color, but I was afraid to use too much dye, and the color is not as blue as I wanted. Still pretty, though.



I started a pair of Dulaan mittens with the skein, but I didn't think carefully enough, and chose a size that was too big. I nearly finished one mitten, but ripped it out since I had used about half the yarn, and still needed to finish the hand and knit a thumb. So, I'm going to reknit a smaller size soon. Not today though!

2 Comments:

  • Your yarns turned out very pretty! I hear ya on the mini-funk - it's just hard to be cheery when I had to get up an hour earlier than I'm used to today. Even Chaos was crabby this morning ("Why are you feeding me in the middle of the night?!").

    By Blogger Chris, at 1:25 PM  

  • I like the green/teal ... nice shade.

    By Blogger Rhonda the Stitchingnut, at 1:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home