aswim in knits

Monday, March 27, 2006

A finished pair of socks -- in just one day!

Look, I finished a pair of socks! In one day!!


Perhaps the accomplishment is not so impressive when you see how big the socks are ...


These are destined for Afghans for Afghans. As a part of my 40 Days for Others efforts, I've knit up 4 hats for A for A's hat and sock drive for newborns, and I would like to contribute 4 pairs of socks too.

I used the Sock Garden yarn from Knitpicks that was purchased for one of my SnB's yarn buffets. The yarn is now on sale for $2.99/ball. I did not love how the yarn felt in its skein, but I really do like how it feels knit up! It is 100% merino wool, and very soft. I don't know how it would wear for adult socks, but should be fine for newborn socks!! I weighed the socks, and I think that the pair is about 5 grams. So, one skein of sock yarn could yield 10 pairs of newborn socks!

I used a basic toe-up sock pattern on size 1 needles --
Provisional c.o 12 stitches.
Short-row toe (down to 4 stitches and back up).
Pick up provisional sts.
Knit foot to 1.75 inches.
Short-row heel (down to 4 sts and back up).
Knit leg to almost 2 inches.
4 rows of 2x2 ribbing.
Sewn cast off (for stretch), described here.

This gave me a 2.5 inch long foot. According to A for A's website, a newborn has a 2 inch foot. So, even though they look impossibly tiny to me, these should be perfect.

Yeah, you're gonna be seeing some more baby socks soon, I think :)

3 Comments:

  • I love how the stripes line up perfectly. I didn't notice that in person. Well done!

    By Blogger FemiKnitMafia, at 1:57 PM  

  • Those are so cute!

    By Blogger Chris, at 4:23 PM  

  • Those baby socks are so cute! Such perfectly matched stripes, too. ;-) Take care, Danielle! :-)

    By Blogger chris, at 10:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home