aswim in knits

Friday, March 17, 2006

Hat-tacular

I've been working on my contributions for 40 Days for Others. After finishing the blue and green hat from yesterday's post, I cast on for another newborn hat for Afghans for Afghans.



This one is made of scraps of Mission Falls 1824 Wool left over from one of the baby blankets I knit this fall.

This is my second attempt at 2-color knitting. The first one was also a baby hat, with a single band of 2-color patterning. It came out OK, but I was holding 2 colors in my right hand, and the technique was slow. So, I'm trying to get comfortable with 2-handed 2-color knitting.

I'm doing OK so far ... and it's definitely a faster technique for me. Here's what I've accomplished so far ...



Umm, except that it's not quite done yet ...



But I managed to hide the ends for Baby Bear's photo shoot ...



The hat is now blocking, and I will weave the ends once it's dry. I read that it is better to block stranded color knitting before weaving in ends, so that you don't weave them in too tight.

Look, I have more yarn left over for another hat!



The blue and red in the lower corner are gone now, as I finished them up in the hat above. But, I also have a full ball of black. This stranded color stuff is pretty fun, so I think I'll make a couple more hats similar to the one above!! By then, my technique should be pretty good.

Stay tuned for more hatti-ness.

1 Comments:

  • I like your new template!! Very nice. Your fair isle hat is fantastic! I'd love to try that technique later this year. I'm a thrower, so I'll have to learn to pick, but I love the end results. Fantastic job! Take care, Danielle! :-)

    By Blogger chris, at 12:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home