aswim in knits

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

suggestions for Flower Basket Shawl?

I've been thinking about making a Flower Basket Shawl for some time now.

This is the pattern photo.


But the one I truly fell in love with is the Yarn Harlot's version.

So, I'm on a quest for the *perfect* yarn. I could use the same one as Stephanie (Artfibers' Chai), but I'm sure there are other great yarns out there!

Here are my criteria:

  • Soft. Or at least, not scratchy.

  • Subtly variegated, but not wildly so.

  • Probably sport weight (maybe DK), as I would like the shawl to be wearable for extra warmth, but not bulky.

  • Preferably 100% natural fibers.

  • Should not shed.

  • Would be great if it had some silk content, for a slight sheen, but not essential



Let me know if you have any ideas. I won't be making this until at least the summertime...

5 Comments:

  • you should look at sundara yarns.. she seems to have some yarn types that would fit your criteria. i made this shawl for the olympics! it was a fun knit.

    By Blogger spajonas, at 4:22 PM  

  • I second Sundara Yarns. I like Helen's Lace (Lorna's Laces), but I think it's too lightweight for what you want. Maybe Brooks Fiber Farm Four Play?

    By Blogger Chris, at 4:24 PM  

  • Gleek beat me to it - I was going to say Sundara's Dk silk/merino. Haven't used it myself, but she's getting glowing reviews.

    By Blogger Pumpkinmama, at 4:24 PM  

  • I used sportweight Frog Tree for mine and it's fabulous. Not exactly meeting your criteria though as it's definitely matte and I haven't seen it variegated either. I get compliments every time I wear it and it's warm as a sweatshirt believe it or not.

    http://stoneview.typepad.com/photos/finished_objects/flower_basket_finished.html

    By Blogger Julie, at 7:31 PM  

  • I've worked with Helen's Lace (LL) and am knitting some lace with Kid Silk Haze, neither would meet your requirements. The Frog Tree should work, and it comes in great colors.

    by the way - welcome to Cirque du Socks!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home