aswim in knits

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Delia sweater back, and praise for hubby

DELIA SWEATER

I finished the back of Baby Delia's sweater on the commute to work this morning. Here it is ... with a Bic pen for scale and my spider plant getting in on the action. Click to enlarge.


Look closely, just above where the armholes start. Can you see that there are a couple rows where the fabric is biasing? I came to a spot in the skein where the yarn was tightly twisted. I've never had a problem with any of my other skeins of Cotton Fleece. I'm guessing that this is probably as a result of my repeated frogging of the sweater. Somewhere along the way, the yarn must have taken on some extra twist. Oh well. I always knit the BACK of the sweater first, since I often seem to encounter glitches as I start a project. By the time I get to the front, things are moving along more smoothly.


FABULOUS HUSBAND

I have the best husband a knitter could want. Why do I say this?

  1. He is perfectly willing to serve as a human swift. Even for 560 yarn skeins of sock/lace/fingering weight yarn. In fact, he once said "why do you want to buy a swift when I can help you whenever you need to wind yarn?"

  2. He is taking me to WEBS for my birthday. His parents live 25 minutes from WEBS.

  3. His mother is a knitter. She taught me how to knit. She has a stash. With the good stuff (cashmere, Colinette, alpaca, etc.) See?


  4. He wears my handknits. And his mother's handknits. Willingly.

  5. He knows vocabulary words like "gague", "skein", "swatch", "block" and "swift".

  6. He doesn't mind *too much* that my yarn has taken over a good part of the living room and bedroom.

  7. When I told him about the Knitting Olympics he told me that I should enter because it would make me happy.

  8. When we share the driving on our commute to work, he drives in the morning, when it is light out, so I can knit on my shift as a passenger.

  9. He has repaired vacuum cleaners ... more than once ... that have broken as a result of sucking up an errant strand of yarn.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home