aswim in knits

Monday, January 23, 2006

too many WIPs

I discovered that I am not a big fan of multitasking my knitting. I do enjoy having a few projects on the go at any one time, mostly so that I have appropriate knitting for any occasion -- one mindless project and one more interesting project, or projects at different stages, etc.

But, I get stressed out when my WIP list grows beyond maybe 3 or 4 things, max. So, in an effort to organize and prioritize, I present to you my WIP list...


  • Baby Delia sweater
    I bought some fuschia and white Cotton Fleece to make a sweater for my hairdresser's baby for the holidays. I was thinking of making a 2-color version of this sweater from "Adorable Knits for Tots".

    I started it, and even got through the first couple of rows of intarsia. Then, I decided that I would just never finish it!! The intarsia would drive me batty, and it's not worth it for a baby sweater. So, I'm going to do a simple pink roll neck sweater with a single white intarsia heart on the chest. I'm hoping to do this by the end of the monthearly next month. I'm now on the 4th incarnation of the back.
    #1 was the intarsia version.
    #2 the gauge was too tight.
    #3 I counted my cast-on wrong, and didn't notice until I got to the armholes. Doh!
    #4 seems to be ok so far... hopefully, things will start to move now!

  • Dad's Whitby's
    I finished these socks earlier this month and gave them to Dear Old Dad a few weeks ago. Unfortunately, he wasn't feeling well that day, so there was no on-the-spot try-on. Turns out, the socks were a wee bit too short. I took them back to lengthen the toes. I worked on this while watching Crossing Jordan last night. Picked out the woven-in ends on both, reknit one, and got the other restarted, up to the decreases. Shouldn't take more than 30 minutes to finish.

  • Anne socks
    I started a garter rib sock using my Schaeffer Anne yarn...

    The yarn is pooling in a delightful stripey way. I hope it stays that way through both socks! This will mainly be a low-priority project, but good for when I need something small and mindless. I'm not using my usual 2-at-once magic loop technique, mainly because I don't want to chop my giant yarn ball into 2 parts.

  • Purple Alpaca scarf.
    I started this back in October too. It's about half way done. I like it. It's soft. I wear scarves all the time. The lace keeps the knitting interesting, but not too challenging. So why haven't I worked on it more? No idea. I should get cracking on this one so that I can finish it before the winter is done!! I also have yarn to make a matching hat.

  • Jacke Rouge

    This is my take on the "Jacke in Apricot" from the Rebecca 27 magazine. Everyone knit this already, including Becky and Claudia. It's a fun knit, and not hard, but it hasn't clicked for me yet. First, I am using a sightly lighter yarn than the pattern calls for -- my red cotton ease, stashed from when it was on sale for $1.39/ball at Building 19. And, I want the sweater just a skoosh bigger than the largest pattern size. So, I've been doing a little pattern revision aong the way. And, a lot of knit-frog-knit-frog while knitting tired. The back is now complete, although I'm not convinced that the armholes are deep enough. I think I want to lengthen them by an inch or so. I just have to figure out how to do that and still make the sleeve cap fit!! So, this project is on hold until I have the time to do the math.


So, I need to finish the Whitby's and the Baby Delia sweater first, as they are gifts. In order to do this, I also need to check my gauge -- again! -- and graph an appropriately sized intarsia heart chart for the front.

Then, I'd like to knock off the scarf and a matching-ish hat. I'm thinking of making the Lady Hat. What do you think -- close enough to the scarf to be a set?

Then, I'll feel like my WIPs are back under control and I can start another hat to match my winter scarf and gloves. Nothing fancy, but I'd like to get it done. Perhaps tomorrow I will share the whole contents of my "want to knit it NOW" list :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home