aswim in knits

Monday, May 01, 2006

Socks in a box

I mailed off my Sockapaloooza socks today! They are going to Canada, and they cost a ridiculous amount to mail -- $17.90. However, that's because I chose to send them in some sort of trackable way ... I don't want these puppies going missing!

Before mailing, I managed to snap a few pics. Here is how I packaged them up ...
The origami box is made from wrapping paper, using a pattern from Origami Boxes, borrowed from my mom, and originally purchased at Origamido.

Here's the inside of the lid ...

And the inside of the bottom ... I think that this kind of origami is called "unit origami" -- several identical shapes are folded and combined to create a larger structure. In this case, the lid is made of 4 identical shapes (2 green and 2 blue), and the bottom is made from 4 other identical shapes.

Each shape started as a 13"x13" piece of wrapping paper. I had the blue in my wrapping paper stash. Yep, crafty people stash lots of things!! I bought some green to go with it. Umm, yeah, because blue and green match the socks :)

This was totally unnecessary, but lots of fun! I can't wait to hear that my pal got her socks!!!

8 Comments:

  • Brilliant packaging! I bought that same book at the Natural History Museum in NYC on a trip there with my niece and nephew and we then spent the following afternoon making boxes. Love 'em!

    By Blogger Julie, at 4:58 PM  

  • that box rocks! i would love to make one from pages from vintage catalogs or cookbooks, lots of flair to spare...

    i think the piece-together-method can also be called modular origami.

    your sock pal will feel so lucky!

    By Blogger christine, at 5:51 PM  

  • That box is stunning - what a lovely frame for your sock!!

    By Blogger Chris, at 6:38 PM  

  • What a gorgeous box! You're setting the bar pretty high there ... your sock pal is going to love the whole package.

    By Blogger Ruth, at 8:38 PM  

  • That is so, so beautiful!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:46 PM  

  • Your pal is definitely going to appreciate those extra touches!

    By Blogger Peevish, at 11:58 PM  

  • How cool is that? :-)

    By Blogger Beth S., at 3:33 PM  

  • Love your box. Amusingly, I live on the same block as Origamido--great place. Great street, for that matter!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home