aswim in knits

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Fountain Lace beginnings

Thanks for all your kind words about the Jaywalkers I showed on Monday. Wait another day or two and I'll show you the cute packaging that I have planned for them!

I have some more socks in progress, for me this time. But they're boring, so no pix yet. I also started a sweater project, here at Knitted Accessories R Us. This is the Classic Elite Fountain Lace Cardigan that I first saw at JoFrog's blog.*
The pattern is written for Classic Elite Bam Boo, but I am substituting some Cotton Ease from my stash. I'm able to get stitch gauge, but I'm off on row gauge (26 vs 32 rows per 4 inches). So, I'm going to have to change the sleeve shaping and possibly also the armhole/sleeve cap shaping.

I also decided to change the edging to seed stitch rather than the seed stitch rib in the pattern ... I didn't think that the rib looked finished enough for my tastes. I'm going to work the fronts with the buttonbands worked simultaneously, also in seed stitch. Oh yeah, and I'll make it a v-neck too.

Here's the progress on the back so far. The color is pretty true on my monitor, although maybe just a bit brighter than in reality...

For some reason, I can't seem to "get" this lace pattern, and I need to use the chart on every "working" row. Any tips on how to learn lace patterns? Usually, I'm fine, but this one isn't intuitive for me. The yo's make sense, but I can't keep track of where the ssk and k2togs belong.

* Johanna is fantastic! I called her at the store, and she put the pattern aside for me, and generally provided great customer service (ahem, some alpaca went home with me as a result). And, she is totally sweet and nice, too!

6 Comments:

  • Lovely sweater and I really like that blue. Sorry, no big tips for lace - I don't knit very much of it....

    By Blogger Chris, at 6:26 PM  

  • Mmm, that is pretty, and it looks like it'll be fun to knit. I do knit lots of lace, but I don't really have any tips for you - I find that some patterns I 'get' straight away and some just take more time. Stick with it - you'll need the chart less and less.

    By Blogger Peevish, at 6:48 PM  

  • Awe, thanks! Such sweet words! I changed my edging to seed stitch too... but not on purpose! Whoops, I do like it better though. Just keep on going with the chart. I always referenced mine, but it starts to go much quicker.

    Happy Knitting!

    By Blogger Jofrog, at 8:41 PM  

  • Really, really pretty! I'm still kind of hazy about the row gauge issue, so I'll be interested to see the mods.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:04 AM  

  • That's a great sweater pattern! Just enough texture to make it really intriguing. It reminds me of the lace inset in the Friday Harbor socks (are you a Nancy Bush fan? if so you you'll know exactly the one I mean...)

    By Blogger Beth S., at 11:12 AM  

  • That is going to be a great pattern!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home