aswim in knits

Monday, May 15, 2006

the post in which I do not discuss socks ... very much

Yuck! It has been raining for days on end ... over 12"/30 cm in my town. My boss, who is from London, sent an email today that read "I am off to London for a few days' vacation and to get away from the relentless rain we have been having. You can imagine how much we have had if I need to go to London to get less rain!"

Because of the nasty weather, I did not go to the NH Sheep and Wool Festival. Boo! However, I am not any good at being cold. I'm also not good at being wet. Being cold and wet, I would just be miserable. Besides, I don't need any more yarn!!!!! I did want to go and meet up with some bloggers, but I'm sure I will have other chances to do that later.

I made this decision on Friday night. I had a miserable day on Friday.

First, it was rainy. Did I mention that?

Then I had a series of difficult emails with parents of some of the swimmers I coach. No, your child does not walk on water. No, your child is NOT exempt from the rules that we expect of all of our swimmers... etc....

And then Thom hit another bump in the road on his way to transitioning from full-time grad student to full-time gainfully employed person. It will all work out in the end, I am sure. It's just the process that is painful... so I'm not going to share too many details until it all works out ... although that could take some time.

So, when I got home and saw some mail for me, I was soooo excited! It was a package all the way from Australia. Inside was this ...



(Pardon the wet hair ... I just got out of the shower.)


Can you believe that Peeve decided to give away this beautiful shawl? The details about pattern and yarn are in her May 1 post. All I had to do to win it was to leave a comment. Peeve, thank you so much! I love it!! Finding this shawl in the mail totally changed my mood. In fact, I wrapped my self up in it for most of the weekend, except when on the pool deck.

The shawl is going to stay at work for when the a/c gets too strong, which is often. (The photos aren't the best, due to the absence of sunlight in these parts. The color, a rich royal purple, and pattern are better represented on Peeve's blog...)

Peeve also sent two packages of Tim Tams -- black cherry and latte varieties. They were much enjoyed by the husband and me. Only one is left. Not one package ... one single cookie!

And, finally, I have been knitting! I'm onto the second Jaywalker leg ... If I'm not knitting two-at-once, I'll do one leg, then the other, then both heels, then both feet and toes. This one is a one-at-a-time pair of socks, to make the project more portable. As I was cleaning house this weekend, I found a small cloth bag that I had forgotten about. It's just the right size for a sock in progress!



More other stuff later, when the sun comes out long enough for photos.

5 Comments:

  • ugh! i have heard about the rain in your parts :( so depressing! but that shawl looks warm and comfy and i'm sure the surprise was enough to drive away the rainy blues. here's hoping you get sunshine soon!

    By Blogger spajonas, at 8:48 PM  

  • I know -- the weather is just horrendous! I missed seeing you on Saturday, but it was both very wet and very cold. (Oh, the bacon is Wellshire Farms -- I buy it at Whole Foods. Very yummy.)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:53 AM  

  • The rain really was [& still is] a DRAG! But it allowed me to knit the whole weekend away, lol. Nothing like a beautiful handknit shawl to cheer you up, huh?

    By Blogger Rhonda the Stitchingnut, at 9:53 AM  

  • What a timely package!! And the shawl is so lovely... How could a luscious purple shawl NOT cheer you up?!

    By Blogger Chris, at 10:04 AM  

  • Good heavens! I must be hallucinating. I could swear you just posted that someone randomly gave away an Irish Diamond Shawl, and that could not possibly really have happened!

    And Tim Tams, which you can't even find at Cardullo's, the shop with everything?... Yes, I must have imagined that part too. I blame it on all the rain, it's obviously messing with my head.

    By Blogger Beth S., at 3:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home