aswim in knits

Monday, November 28, 2005

Knit Unto Others

Thanks to Margene and Carole, who organized the Knit Unto Others knitalong, I've started my charity knitting a little early this year. Last year, I knitted up a whack of hats in January. This year I've already got one done.
DSCN0828-2

It's a preemie hat, all of 3.5" across. It is scary to know that there are babies that need hats this small. I'll be sending it to Risa to donate to the NICU where her twins were born.

Speaking of twins, I've started a twin for the hat...
DSCN0830-2

I expect that I should be able to get 3, if not 4, hats out of this ball. Since twins, triplets, and other multiples are more likely to be born prematurely, perhaps these hats will go to a set of twins or triplets!

The yarn I am using is a skein of discontinued Mandarin Petit, 100% cotton, variegated colorway 5200, at a gauge of about 7 sts/in . I cast on 68 stitches, knit a k2 p2 ribbing for 2 inches, knit 2.5 ins in stockinette, and used a round top (divide the top in eighths, and decrease 1 stitch in every eighth, every other round, until only 8 sts remain). I have lots more cotton in this weight, so there may be more preemie hats in the future!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home