aswim in knits

Friday, October 21, 2005

Does a baby bootie count as a sock?

Recognize this?
DSCN0715-2

It's a baby bootie in progress. Soon, it becomes something like this ...
DSCN0721-2
The one in the top photo is for a 6-9 month old, and just looked gigantic. So, while I waited for my car's brakes to be inspected on Wednesday, I made another smaller one.

These are made using the "Simple T-Bar Shoes" pattern from 50 Baby Bootees to Knit, by Zoe Mellor. Very cute! This is what the photo in the book looks like -- much better lighting in their shot!
DSCN0723-2

I am making these booties for the baby of one of my mom's cousins. This one needs a button (I'm thinking a little round pearl one), so I'm going to the Fabric Place this weekend, while they are having a sale -- 25% off everything in the store. Oh yeah, it also needs a mate. Hopefully, I might find some time for a second bootie this weekend too.

I liked this pattern, but it's a little fiddly for a bootie that will only get worn a few times. After the body is knitted (like in the top photo), then 2 straps are added with separate pieces of yarn. I am still a fan of the Stay-on Baby Booties from the Falick/Nicholas book, since there are fewer ends and seams. But, I think these ones will be cute too.

The real question is, "does a baby bootie count as a sock?" If so, I guess these could count as part of Socktoberfest!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home