aswim in knits

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

B is for Books

I'm quite a bit late in posting my "B" entry. Please forgive.

But, "B" still stands for books in my world. According to my mother, I learned to read words when I was 2 or 3. While I still find this unbelievable, I do know that I was an "early reader", as the lingo goes. I remember reading Nancy Drew mysteries in kindergarten and getting extraordinarily bored as the teacher was teaching us *new* words like "cat" and "bus". Then again, that's Catholic school for you ... and one of the reasons I was only there for 2 years! But I digress ...

My family has always had a lot of books around. In high school, I used to read anything from the Concise Columbia Encyclopedia to the Reader's Digest Fix It Yourself Manual as I ate breakfast. Yes, I'm that much of a dork.

I still read a lot, although more knitting-related reading as of late. I try not to buy too much in the way of fiction, taking it out of the library instead, as I am only likely to read a work of fiction once. We still have 4 bookcases in our apartment, though. Here is a scattered sampling of our books ...

Of course, there are knitting books...


Some other pre-knitting hobbies, hiding amongst the kiddie lit and Shakespeare...


Recent fiction, and a spot of non-fiction ...


And another random shelf, with everything from a Tolkein boxed set, to a Montreal guide book, to a look at the future of genomic information, written by Juan Enriquez Cabot, a Chiapas-peace-negotiating, Harvard Business School professor who just happens to run a life sciences research and investment firm, go figure!


Eclectic tastes, yes, but there are few things that I won't read!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home