aswim in knits

Thursday, February 16, 2006

Olympic progress

I finally started my Olympic Knitting on Monday night, Day 4 of the Knitting Olympics. On Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, I was at the East Zone Junior Synchronized Swimming Championships with my team. 27 teenaged girls, and their parents, for an entire weekend. I got 4 or 5 hours of sleep per night, and drove home from Buffalo, NY on Sunday night, getting in at 3:45 a.m. Monday morning.

These are 2 of our 3 teams -- the girls in the green/blue suits placed 10th in finals, and the ones in the red/orange ones won the meet, taking gold medals in duet, trio, team, and technical figures. (I don't have a picture of our 3rd team, but they placed 15th, which is a great success for them, since the zone meet covers 1/4 of the country, and our 3rd team is still rather inexperienced!)




So, knitting on the Opptuna sweater started Monday. As of last night, I had finished the body and sleeves, and they are blocking on my new gridded blocking cloth (with towels underneath!!)



The Noro Kureyon grows considerably when blocked. It also softens up a lot, too. Once these are dry, I will seam them together and add the hood. I should also have enough yarn left over for a hat. I'll have the reblock the whole sweater at the end, after adding the hood, since the hood is picked up and knit right from the sweater body. If I don't block it, the gauge will be very different, I think.

So, while the sweater piecces are blocking, I started a placket-neck sweater (size 6-8) from Last Minute Knitted Gifts. I'm using Bernat Cotton Tots from the stash.



I'm having one problem, though. I'm not sure if I'm getting gauge! I've used the yarn before, and got gauge with 8's. I went down to a 7 for these, since the yarn gauge is 20 sts/4 in, and my pattern gauge is 21 sts/4 in. Yet, I seem to be getting a larger gauge! I will have to get through the 8 rows of seed stitch and knit a few rows of stockinette before I really know what the gauge is doing, though.

My plan is to seam the Opptuna sweater tonight, and add the hood tomorrow night. I'm thinking that I might not make the placket sweater after all. I have always loved ChildHood from Knitty, and I have some white Cotton Tots stashed too. Perhaps I'll re-gauge the sweater for my yarn and make this instead. Afterall, I only said that I'd commit to 2 childrens' sweaters, not that I'd commit to any particular sweaters!!!

Or, I could make a pink Trellis or one of these ... We'll see, after I figure out my gauge dilemma!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home