aswim in knits

Tuesday, July 12, 2005

lots of craftiness...

This weekend, I finished the body of the Sitcom Chic, up to the armholes. I think that the fit will be good on this one! It's a little hard to tell, since I wasn't able to let the weight of the garment hang from my shoulders yet, but I think the width is right.

I also cast on for a sleeve, using the Magic Loop technique with the same needle. I think it's a 32" needle, which is just too small to do both sleeves at once. So far, it's pretty quick going.

Here's what the increases I've been using look like --

I've been using a M1 increase, but I wasn't sure that I got the right leaning one and left leaning one on the right sides! Looking at the photo, I think I did ok. And, if not, I still like how it looks!

In other craftiness, I am planning to make dresses for my nieces. Hmm, I'll have to find a recent photo of the two of them. Jane turns 7 tomorrow, and Gracie is 3 1/2. This is the pattern I am going to use. The fabric on the left with the strawberries is for Gracie and one on the right with the polka-dot flowery things is for Jane. The strawberries are about the size of a dime, and the dots are around the size of a pencil eraser, although some are larger and some are smaller. Both prints are 100% cotton.

I washed and dried the fabric over the weekend and ironed it last night, so I know it's all pre-shrunk! I also bought some pale pink to line the bodices with -- the pattern calls for the lining in the same fabric as the dress, but I think that because the backgrounds are pale pink, the strawberries and dots of the lining would show through to the front side. So, I hope I will have some extra patterned fabric left over! If so, I might make matching bags or something. I was also thinking that I might make matching bolero sweaters so the girls can wear the dresses in the fall too. I might borrow my friend's "Junior Knits" book (Debbie Bliss) since they have a bolero jacket pattern that might work with yarn in my stash!!

This is the pattern --

I would make Gracie's sweater in red, to match the berries, and Jane's in a pink to match the dots. I have some red cotton ease and some pink Cotton Tots by Bernat. I need to look at the pattern first, but might modify it to make 3/4 length sleeves. I think those might be cute with the dresses. We'll see ... I have all day Saturday to sew, so I'm thinking that I might be able to do most or all of the dresses that day. I'll keep you posted ...

I'll be gone for work for the next couple of days, so hopefully I'll have more of the sitcom chic to show you over the weekend!


Post a Comment

<< Home