aswim in knits

Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Invisible seams!

I found an invisible flat seam that I like for my baby blanket ... I didn't want to commit to the lace blanket until I knew that I would like how the finished product looks. Well, after some experimenting last night, I found a seaming technique that should work for this blanket. I don't know if it has a name, but it's used on a garter stitch edge. All of the blocks I chose call for a one-stitch garter stitch edging. In this seam, you pick up the bumps of the garter stitch on the wrong side, alternating between pieces. It creates a flat seam, and the seaming yarn only shows on the wrong side. I tried it out on some skinny little swatches I made using some pink Shine yarn, and it worked nicely.

Here is how the front side looks. I didn't take any care to line up the swatches, or even make them the same size, but you'll get the idea. The orange yarn is the seaming yarn.
DSCN0527-2

And here is the back, showing the orange seaming yarn.
DSCN0529-2

Here's a sample of one of the lace patterns I will use. I'm going to add a repeat or two, to get a bigger finished block, but I love how this is looking so far!
DSCN0515-2

So, I'm off to finish designing tonight, and get this project going!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home